Why I never ever shoot Russian ammo

Russian infantry weapons have a reputation for reliability. The AK and PKM are renowned for enduring through adverse conditions, powered by their powerful long-stroke piston actions. However, a recent report by warhead.su suggests that when these weapons do fail in Russian service, the problem is often not in their design, but rather in the Russian ammunition they fire. This is not a new phenomenon. Russian imported ammunition to the United States has always been regarded as “budget” brands, with inconsistent quality. But apparently, the same problems apply to Russian military ammunition.
SEEN HERE

This entry was posted in Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Why I never ever shoot Russian ammo

1. Twostrokejunkie says:

I have been told russian ammunition has a primer problem. I have fired roughly 4400 5.45×39 russian rounds and never a single misfire or bad round. The barrel on this pos AK74 wore out before i ran out.

2. Joe Blow says:

Frankly, my AR absolutely LOVES Wolf 55 gr hollow points. I’ve tried over a dozen other manuf., only the Remington match-grade even comes close, and tgat shit is over a buck a pop!

3. Sanders says:

Okay. Don’t buy the Russian stuff. Leaves more for me.

I shot a shit ton of the Wolf .45 ACP in my 1911. I don’t know if it was the cause of the ejector wearing or not, but ejectors are cheap. Also gone through 4 x 500 rd cases of 5.56 in the AR. I got one bad round in 2,000 – a bad primer.

4. mrgarabaldi says:

Hey Kenny;

I haven’t shot Wolf in a while, but I have fired “Tula” and that is the only ammo that my AR don’t like, she munches everything else without a hiccup. I have bought a lot of “Monarch” or the academy house brand. It is actually made by Privat a Russian company and their quality control is very good and I have had no problems with any of the Monarch brand ammo and it is very reasonable.

5. Andrew says:

The Russians sell us the good stuff. Their army is stuck sucking hind tit. Same with who they export sell to. Had a friend over there in sandbox land who said captured ammo sucked camel dick, but the contractors all got good ammo. And the ammo is often from the same manufacturer in good old Mother Russia.

6. Critter says:

Kind of a long read, but very informative

7. Hillbilly says:

Both my Ar and my AK eat Russian ammo like Rosie O’Donnell eats piroshki’s. Fast and hard!

8. singlestack says:

I have a couple of SKSs and Mosin Nagants. They’re the only guns I shoot Russian ammo through. I reload everything else (except 22LR of course).
    In my SKSs I used to shoot white box milsurp but then switched to Wolf. I’ve never had a hiccup of any kind in several cases of ammo.
    I shoot 148 grain milsurp in the Mosins. I’ve had two pierced primers in a couple of thousand rounds, otherwise everything works perfectly.
    A note of caution here: Never, ever shoot a Mosin without eye protection. A pierced primer will blow gas right through the bolt and out the back end. Any oil in the bolt will blow out with it.

9. Winston Smith says:

I wont allow Russian shitammo near my firearms.
    You all are welcome to play roulette with it if you like.

10. Jeffery in Alabama says:

I’ve had good luck with Tula and Wolf in 9mm, .45 ACP, and .223, I’ve got a couple of Magpul thirty rounders (oddly both have the view panels) that are a little finicky in my Colt Match Barrel AR using Wolf. All other mags perform as they should even with this cheaper ammo. I also have shot “a lot” s of Russian and Soviet-bloc surplus ammo in 7.62X54R, 7.62X39 and 7.62X25 pistol ammo in the past twenty-five years without any squibs, misfires, etc. I shoot 7.62X54R surplus in a scoped wartime Mosin Nagant and it is very consistent, I do believe ALL of the surplus I have encountered has been corrosive.

11. B says:

Gotta say, the author doesn’t seem to really know what he is talking about.

I would assume he heard this from someone else, and simply tried to repeat it. I’d be he isn’t a gun guy.

12. Skip says:

All my AR’s shoot whatever Wally has for cheap. No fuckups.

13. Ray says:

AH! Russia hate, propaganda. If anyone is interested in facts. Russian arms and ammo were import “banned” under Obama. More than 10 years ago, I believe. Wolf, Tula , and all the rest was ether made and imported before that, or is made in a country OUTSIDE Russia. “Wolf” is actually a contract headstamp placed on ammo made in several country’s. Interesting propaganda. But that’s ALL it is. Anti-Russian black propaganda. BTW.

14. Gryphon says:

My only Problem with Steel-Case is the Coating used to keep it from Rusting… Semi-Autos and a Hundred Rounds or so and the Chamber starts Melting the stuff off the Cases, asking for a Jam.
    I have a Mosin, that’s the only one I shoot Russian Ammo in, because the American stuff is Expensive and the Serbian Ammo just Sucks. I’ll bet a lot of people Blaming Russian Ammo are shooting stuff made in Eastern Europe, due to the Import Ban.