You know it’s bad when you can’t talk shit about anybody in your own home

A Portland family contacted Amazon to investigate after they say a private conversation in their home was recorded by Amazon’s Alexa — the voice-controlled smart speaker — and that the recorded audio was sent to the phone of a random person in Seattle, who was in the family’s contact list.

“My husband and I would joke and say I’d bet these devices are listening to what we’re saying,” said Danielle, who did not want us to use her last name.
-Stormfax

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to You know it’s bad when you can’t talk shit about anybody in your own home

1. noncom says:

Time to call a lawyer?….

2. Exile1981 says:

The glitch was suposed to sent the file to amazon.

Why anyone would have one of these in there life I have no idea.

3. Unclezip says:

Dumb and dumber. “A husband and wife in the privacy of their home…” You ain’t got no privacy, sweets. And you payed out good money to make it so.

4. bogsidebunny says:

A fine example of when electronic toy addicted dopes think they’re smarter than computers. I’ll stick to my 1968 Black combined rotary desk set on a land-line thank you.

5. singlestack says:

Anyone stupid enough to put one of those things in their house deserves whatever bad things come of it.

6. Sanders says:

Wife asked, “Why do you wear your gun around inside the house?”

“Government spies”, says I.

My wife laughed, I laughed, and the Alexa laughed.

I shot the Alexa.

7. Gryphon says:

Seriously, What kind of a Dumbfuck would have one of those Spy Devices in their Home, connected to the ‘net 27/7 ???

I put my Phone in an Ammo Can (to cut it off Completely) in My Truck before I go Home…. No Landline/Cable/Fiberoptic or Satellite Service, either.

This Posting tracks back to a WiFi at a Business, and nothing on the computer is any ‘personal data’ that can be Hacked and Exploited.

And Bogside Bunny, You got That right!

• Sanders says:

I have some sheet lead that I plan on lining an ammo can with to store cell phones. To protect them from a North Korean EMP attack, you know.

• singlestack says:

I did some research on Faraday cages. As long as the metal is thicker than the wavelength of the signal any metal container will work as a Faraday cage if there are no holes or gaps where the radiation can get through and the object inside isn’t grounded to the container.
        Cell signals are of a microwave wavelength. Heavy duty aluminum foil will stop the signal. I tested it myself to make sure.
        A steel ammo box by itself is one of the best Faraday cages you can get. There’s no need to line it with lead.
        I made a slip case with thin cardboard and aluminum foil. I put my phone in it and then put it in the Jobox in the bed of my truck. (The Jobox itself is an excellent Faraday cage as long as the lid is closed) That way if I need to open the Jobox the phone is still isolated.

8. Padawan says:

Back on Monday I had a container of strawberries on my table. I sat down opened the container and began to eat them. I put my stupid smartypants phone on the table before I went to the fridge. I opened my YouTube to watch something and the first video on my home page was an advertisement for the farm where the strawberries came from.

Fast forward to yesterday. I’m in my basement looking for my planting buckets. Phone is in the holster. Holster is clipped to my shorts. The light on the back of my phone lit up and a voice came over it and said “Damn it. I messed up.”

I shut everything down other than the call and text apps and am now doing everything from my laptop.

• Brian P says:

If it has the battery installed nearly every cellphone can be hijacked and activated remotely. Same thing with laptops amd webcams if I’m not mistaken. If you’re given access to any secure location with a security program worth it’s salt you’ll be directed to uninstall the device’s battery and store it outside of secured areas in a closed metal box.

• singlestack says:

What prompted me to start putting my phone in a Faraday cage except when I’m actually making a call was the ads I would get when shopping. If I left my phone in my truck I would get ads for the stores I went to. If I took the phone in the store with me I would get ads for anything I touched.

• Padawan says:

Brian: I don’t use the webcam installed on my laptop AT ALL. I’ve even gone as far as to put a piece of electrical tape over the lens. Right now my phone is my main source for like *everything* because one of my roommates couldn’t properly allocate everybody’s share of the money for our internet/cable/phone bill so it got shut off. I’m seriously considering a flip phone to make my phone calls off of.

Singlestack: that’s the biggest reason why I’ve turned off the automatic location tracker thing on my devices. I also think I have one store app I use and that’s the grocery store we shop at every week.

9. Westcoastdeplorable says:

People are idiots for inviting a live mic that’s always on into their home. Apparently they’ve never heard of “the Stasi”.

Play nice.