A Rattle with Death in Yosemite

My parents like to say they raised my older brother, Garrett, and me in the Church of Seventh Day Recreationalists.

As a kid growing up in Oregon, I remember asking them if we could actually stay home one weekend instead of camping or hiking or canoeing. They relented, but that was the exception to the rule. Through that prism, you might say I was preordained to be with my family on that bridge, with that snake, on that warm April morning in Yosemite. Through another, you might say I was overdue.
DR2136

This entry was posted in You can't make this shit up. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Rattle with Death in Yosemite

1. CW says:

Gotta keep an eye out for the buzz tails.

2. Westcoastdeplorable says:

This is a great story. Sure makes me want to wear work boots and denim jeans while hiking! And check the guys hospital bill…outrageous!

3. 9Booger says:

I thought having a heart attack hurt like hell, rattlesnake bite sounds way worse.

the technical stuff about the venom in the story was very informative

4. Al says:

More reason I kill them every chance I get, got 3 in 30 foot spread one day.

5. singlestack says:

There is a canebrake den somewhere near my property. They have a trail that they follow in the spring and fall at the edge of my yard. I’ve never seen them anywhere but on that trail. Some of them are monsters, 5 feet + and as big around as my knee.
    I also have a very large king snake that lives under my house. Black snakes sometimes come through the yard and I once actually watched the King hunt and eat one. I think the scent of the king keeps the rattlers away (hope so anyway)

6. rick says:

Oh screw this guy, He writes like Sebastian Junger in the Perfect Storm where he describes every little detail of drowning. He exaggerates if only because he gets paid by the word or to say, Look at me. It was a Pacific Brown, get over it. But props for visiting the experts, the herpetologists and so on. But the guy is a writer so what would you expect?

Why do I say any of that? Because I have spent decades in Yosemite and in the valley for only about 1/100 of the that time. There are about a million ways to die up there and for all this guy’s supposed outdoor experience he sure seemed woefully unprepared.

You want a snake, try the Mojave Green you frigging crybaby. That is a snake that does chase after you and is much more venomous. Snakebit and he begins to question his role in life? Lordy.

True to nature, that rag just could not keep from inserting something about the political landscape: “Then there were the many news events of 2017 that don’t need rehashing.” Oh yes, we all know what is meant by that. Yeah, cool story brah.

7. Kris says:

The true horror is that he’s a liberal dem, who married a liberal dem named Turin (seriously-wtf) and they’re raising a little boy to be a liberal dem-and likely queer.

8. Sedition says:

Snake shields. We have rattlers from the Eastern Diamondback to those little fuckin Pygmy Rattlers, plus Cottonmouths. Lots of woods, rivers, lakes, small tributaries and swamps. Shin shields average about 60 bucks or so and are a damn good investment. See one? Bird shot their asses. Snake shot if you’re using pistol caliber and you can actually find them IN snake shot. That’s one reason I pistol gripped my 12 gauge and carry it in a sheath across my back when in the brush/woods/swamps.

9. Sarthurk says: