Medical marijuana, gun laws at odds

Christine Roberts does not own a gun, and never will as far as the federal government is concerned as long as she continues to use medical marijuana.

The 53-year-old Dickson City woman has taken the drug to ease pain from a serious neck injury since the first Lackawanna County dispensary opened in Scranton in April.

As more dispensaries prepare to open statewide, authorities are warning patients that federal law prohibits anyone who uses marijuana from owning a gun, regardless of whether their state has legalized the drug for medical or recreational purposes.

Roberts questions the logic of the law.

This entry was posted in Drugs, Gun Control, Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Medical marijuana, gun laws at odds

1. Just a Chemist says:

‘Cause criminals always follow the law or something.
    I’ve never touched the stuff, but this is *not* the way we should be moving. The states seem to have forgotten the 10th amendment, me thinks. A long time ago at that. The federal government could regulate the INTERstate sale and movement of marijuana, but cannot make dictates about what the states do WITHIN THEIR OWN BORDERS.

2. Richard Watson says:

How quaint, to think anyone in government pays attention to that silly old Constitution. Especially the courts.

3. CC says:

But all you fucking drunks, fire at will.
    Disgusting.

4. H says:

Ask any veteran cop who he’d rather deal with, a juicer or a toker.

5. irontomflint says:

Now the real question is; Do they allow people to vote if they are on medical weed, or are they selectively deciding which of our rights they will try and curtail thru legislation?
    You can bet when guns are gone, the rest of our rights will follow in quick succession.

6. John Deaux says:

Again I ask, why put yourself on a list for receiving an illegal product ? How does that end well for you cause it makes no sense to me