(mostly) Florida, baby…..

In 1993, Richard Hoagland seemed to be living the good life. He had a young wife and two sons, Matthew and Douglas. Business was good enough at his insurance company to pay for a five-bedroom house outside Indianapolis, a speedboat tied up at a nearby lake and a closet stuffed with designer suits.

Then he went AWOL.

On Fed. 10, Hoagland told his wife he was going to the hospital. When she called the emergency room, her husband wasn’t there. He wasn’t anywhere. His passport and toothbrush were still at home.

“He didn’t pack any clothes. It was cold, it was in February, he did not take a coat,” Linda Iseler, Hoagland’s wife, told ABC’s Nightline in 2016. “How do you walk away from your own children? How do you turn your back?”

This entry was posted in Florida. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to (mostly) Florida, baby…..

1. rick says:

Aggravated identity theft? What makes it aggravated? And, I guess that means there is the simple garden variety ID theft.

Anyway, the wife he wanted to get away from, the one who had him declared legally dead, as surviving spouse she should have had claim to all his assets at that time. This quality piece of journalism says his business was good and living well yet the story, er, I mean article portrays her as the hapless victim left with nothing.

2. Winston Smith says:

Glad theres no pic of wife #1.
    I’d lay odds that this guy is off to South America at the first opportunity.

3. paul says:

And the son has an excuse for being a druggie. Wuss.

4. Djamer says:

Damn, he almost got away with it, but 20 years later and the bitch he ran from is guna get paid. . .

5. STW says:

Oddly enough, this behavior isn’t new and Ancestry is uncovering it even 100 years later.

My great-grandfather, CB Charles, abandoned his wife and my grandfather in about 1903. Reports are that she received a call from his family that he’d died in South Dakota sometime before 1907. Nothing he claimed in the 1900 census checked out, not even his name. A DNA test through Ancestry turned up a second cousin whose great-grandfather was said to have died in a logging accident in 1895, leaving a wife and daughter.

Further research determined that this “dead” man had actually moved to Texas, changed his name, by rearranging his real given name, and married my great-grandmother, who he subsequently also abandoned. Now that we had his real name we found his grave in South Dakota where he died in 1905.

His first family was mighty shook up to discover the rat in their wood pile.

6. Gary Etlinger says:

Whenever I hear of a guy killing his wife I always think why didn’t he just go out for a pack of cigarettes and disappear