When supposed role models take lessons from confused kids

The first time my oldest child told me that gender existed on a spectrum, we were parked in the driveway, sitting in our old Honda minivan with the engine idling and the radio off. Miriam had just returned from a youth group weekend and we were catching up.

“No, sweetheart,” I said to my precocious 14-year-old. “Sexuality is on a spectrum; you can be straight, gay or lots of things in between. Gender is either male or female.”

Miriam corrected me. “No, Mom. Gender is on a spectrum, too.”

At the end of high school, Miriam came out as non-binary. That, too, was a confusing surprise. My husband David and I listened intently, nodded in all the right places, and said we would do everything we could to be supportive. We had no idea what that meant. I would be lying if I pretended it’s been easy.

For the first 18 years of Miriam’s life, I was sure I was raising a daughter. And I was. Until that daughter told me they were neither female or male, and that I should switch to “they/them/their” pronouns when referring to them in the third person.
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in WiscoDave, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to When supposed role models take lessons from confused kids

1. DS says:

It’s contagious insanity

2. Glenfilthie says:

Yannow WC – ya need a license to drive a car, or buy a gun, or even a cat… but any idiot can parent a child…

3. l2a3 says:

So here we have so called “educated” children using established words incorrectly, thanks to their liberal teachers and everyone is OK with that??? It is like that movie where the actor says “You keep saying that word but I do not think you knows what it means”.

4. Wayne says:

So what the hell does the B in LGBTQ stand for if not Bi – meaning two?!?

5. D25 says:

Our language is evolving, eh? Then what does “Go fuck yourself” mean nowadays?

6. czechsix says:

Don’t give a shit, won’t give a shit. Insane fuckers, useful idiots and vain folks that follow fashion are all listed in my particular spectrum – the “your opinion means squat to me” spectrum.

Oh, and Miriam and your mom? At best you women are “handsome”. Even when I was younger and horny enough to fuck a stump, I would have bypassed both of you.

LOL, I’m pretty good at triggering folks, eh?

7. Joe Blow says:

What in the Sam hell is w/ all this non-binary nonsense.
    Back in my day, pot and beer were all you needed! Nobody had to stick their dick in crazy to feel good about yourself (you did that voluntarily after your friend told you what a ride the girl was!)

8. Dr Huff says:

Liberal writer for the liberal rag Detroit Free Press spawned the same. Well what did you expect? Children need to learn what it is to be a man or a woman and that may not be easy for some, especially when you are not as pretty as the other girls or a 98 lbs weakling and Mommy says “I can be whatever I want to be”. Parents that reinforce gender roles that are the opposite of biology are reinforcing choices made by a child. What could possibly go wrong? Hey how about all the other choices that are restricted until we are adults like drinking or buying a gun, and now legalized Pot? Maybe we should let adolescents choose when they can get drunk, stoned, and carry lethal force.

9. Judy says:

Your gender is male or female except for the few with genetic problems. Daughter has chosen to have intercourse with both genders. I’m not changing my use of the Queen’s English for anybody and that includes my children. And you are an idiot for indulging your child’s stupidity.

10. Scott halloween says:

It.

• FrankP says:

In keeping with the Left’s made up pronouns like zher, zhim, and ze, I use the catchall “zit”.

11. Unclezip says:

“Out language is evolving. Get used to it..” Bullshit. Our language is devolving. Where have I heard this before? Oh, yeah – George hisself:

“Our civilization is decadent and our language — so the argument runs — must inevitably share in the general collapse. It follows that any struggle against the abuse of language is a sentimental archaism, like preferring candles to electric light or hansom cabs to aeroplanes…” ~Orwell

12. Harry says:

Child abuse. Pure and simple.

• Padawan says:

It started off on the part of the child so it would be a mental illness on her end. It only escalated to child abuse when the parents began their support of their daughter being “non binary” or whatever the fuck it’s called.

13. Elmo says:

Mental illness run amok.
    I refuse to participate.

14. Julius Streicher says:

The B in LGBT stands for Bacon. The others are Lettuce, Guacamole, and Tomato.

Go make me a sammich, bitch!

15. Sanders says:

This is what happens when you coddle insanity instead of keeping it away from normal folks.

16. bogsidebunny says:

Not to worry. The little tyke’s just going through a phase. Like the 1970’s craze for CB radios it’ll fade to a memory. Trouble is it’ll be replaced by something more insanely hideous.

17. fjord says:

Its a certain kind of kid that falls into this delusion.
    Its a concerted effort on the web-mostly tumblr, that targets them and gives them the script.
    We’ve entered the stage where not going along with the delusion is “child abuse” because this is a big cash cow.

The Robert Stacey McCain has it explained in his blogposts.

And its not just leftist families either.
    Its also the feminist bullshit and adult gays prey on these kinds of vulnerable kids.
    It sucks certain vulnerable kids in and destroys them.

18. PoppaGary says:

Interesting comment from the mom…”Gender has always been a social construct (which changes by era and culture.)”
    I am not aware of other cultures or eras where men were not men or women not women, maybe the roles they played changed or I suppose I could be ignorant on this topic.

19. Westcoastdeplorable says:

If this isn’t mental illness then I’m Napoleon. Since when is it wise to accept, believe, and nurture a person’s psychosis?

20. Bubba Gump says:

If my Mom looked like an uglier version of Mrs Doubtfire, I’d be confused as well.

21. lineman says:

They must hate their kid to subject them to that kind of abuse and then support it by agreeing to be supportive…The crazies are running the asylum…Sad That…

22. SgtBob says:

So how does someone outside the family become involved in this? Does a friend ask, “Are your kids straight, gay, trans, non-binary or what?” I don’t care what somebody else’s kids are, and I don’t understand why so many people think anybody should care. I call ego bullshit on the woman/female.

• Heathen says:

Such behavior between liberals allows them to virtue signal to each other and then they compete to see which of them can outdo the other in “virtue”.

And IMNSHO, the mother looks like a dude.

23. Cyclelu says:

This is the stupidest thing i have ever heard. You either have a penis (male)or a vagina (female). It nature.

24. jack says:

this is weaponized mental illness.
    I refuse to participate in delusions, and say so bluntly. nor will I let some freak dictate the pronouns I choose. if you’re too damned ugly or freaky to be an obvious man or woman then that’s your problem snowflake and I’m going to take my best guess. Fix your freaky condition or at least make an effort and I will excuse your imposition upon me. till then you’d better harden the fuck up and get your delicate feelings sorted.

dad told me from an early age, that id I expect the world to bend to suit me I am in for a lifetime of disappointment. it was a solid lesson these damaged people need to learn.

25. Fatman says:

Ron white said it best. I’m paraphrasing here but ” You can have surgery or therapy to repair or replace anything on your body or in your mind but You just can’t fix stupid!!