50 Cal vs Body Armor

-Doc

This entry was posted in Guns, Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to 50 Cal vs Body Armor

1. Arc says:

What armor is this and where do I buy it!?

Ceramic plates, you have to double them up to stop a 50BMG bullet. The user still dies from kinetic energy transfer, but still.

2. Gryphon says:

Likely some Aircraft Structural Carbonfiber and Titanium… still, Broken Ribs and Ruptured Lungs and other Organs gonna HURT.

3. Nemo says:

RE-entering my comment from earlier that was “to fast” The armor is effective, but you’ll still die from kinetic energy transfer if hit with 50BMG. Notice the size and depth of the dent in the dummy.

4. Unclezip says:

“Kinda cleared my sinuses” – ya think?

5. I assume the Feds (if they haven’t already) will be jumping on this guy and demanding he not sell any of this armour to the public, just police and military.

But they could start a sideline business making flotation jackets…

6. Plan K. Ton says:

Jerry is awesome! Too bad they did not mention price. I bet that stuff will sell like waffle cones on the midway.

7. Winston Smith says:

GoodGawdAlmighty. My jaw is still on the floor.
    I thought it was a joke. Sure, the trauma of a 50 will stop your heart, but GODDAMN, It Worked, And no metal in it.
    Shit, I don’t know what to say. The price is reasonable too. https://vetsmfg.com/product-category/armor-plates/
    fuck me, this is a major breakthru.

Now its got me to wondering how long until you can do this yourself with a 3D home printer.

• The secret is in the manufacturing process – it cannot be duplicated by a 3D printer.

• Winston Smith says:

Didn’t mean YOUR product, WG. Just musing on how fast tech is moving. As you can probably tell, I am quite impressed. Have you tried it on 50 Ball or AP?

I wouldn’t consider 400 bucks as reasonable. Well, I guess it is if you have $400 laying around.

• Winston Smith says:

yeah, just have to clean out a couch or 2.

I wish. Reasonable for what it can do. There is nothing that is man carryable that I am aware of that can do this. Last I saw Dragonskin mentioned it was almost 1k and it for sure cant do 50s. For that kind of money, all you can get is level 3, not rated for rifle. Unless the market is done some things since I last looked at it.

• Andrew says:

The materials sciences behind the Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) products is astounding. Varieties are being touted as add-on armor for existing vehicles that significantly increase protection from projectiles and heat warheads. The Israelis are going whole-hog? over these products.

The big thing, as the owner says, is in the manufacturing and layering.

Floating body armor? Fuuuuuuuuck.

8. paul b says:

400 dollars might not be cheap but living is priceless

9. Critter says:

$400 for armor is not unreasonable at all. My ass is worth it.

Oh, I’ll agree with you on that. Looking back on my comment, it sounded like I was complaining about it. Trust me, if I had the money I’d have a set ordered already – I think my steel plates weigh in at 22 pounds. These would be a relief.

10. Well, maybe the shock would still kill you. But at least they wouldn’t be burying you in two pieces.

• Andrew says:

I wonder if some closed cell foam (camping mat material) would help mitigate the shock. Not much more weight, just more bulk.

Or maybe some D3o panels, pricey shit but trust me, that stuff really sucks up the shock. Available from D3o.com. Team Wendy uses something like it in their combat helmet padding system (which is tons better at reducing concussive damage than the original DOD system. TeamWendy.com)

There’s a lot of nice products out there that are more expensive, but for those mid-road preppers who can afford it, it would be worth getting some better padding for your patrol gear even if you don’t go and get this guy’s $400.00 plate.

Man, if I won the lottery…

• Bacon says:

Closed cell foam would have to be so thick that it would hinder movement and it isn’t especially durable.

If I was trying to do this commercially, besides d3o polymer panels I’d look into sorbothane visco-elastic polymer.