Big City Problems

The eco-friendly transport with a billion-dollar valuation has millennials commuting with them to studio lots and talent agencies, even as users mow down pedestrians and clutter sidewalks (“Some guy almost clipped my stroller with my 6-month-old in it”).

In the current climate of rancor and divisiveness, it seems everything has become a hot-button topic. Case in point: the lightweight, matte-black electric scooters by Los Angeles-based startup Bird Rides Inc. that are populating — or infesting, depending on your view — much of the city.

*****

My favorite line in the whole story? This one: “Giving a motorized scooter to a kid is a moronic thing to do. It’s like giving somebody in West Virginia a gun.”
That right there is pure California, man.

This entry was posted in California. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Big City Problems

1. doug says:

Pure California-too lazy to walk. It’s Not like long distance travel.

2. anonymous says:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that West Virginia citizen likely has a better chance defending themselves against anyone attempting to do them harm. At least – as long as they are allowed to defend themselves.

3. Winston Smith says:

Yeah, those wires look quite exposed. Very surprised they aren’t clipped all the time with all that hostility about. I’d get out of that stock if that’s all the company does.

4. NewVegasBadger says:

If I was a resident of West Virginia, I reply back with: “Mock us if you will, but remember we don’t have homeless people shitting in our streets, nor do we have to worry about stepping on an addicts needle” BTW, we don’t have a problem with mass shootings either. So how are those gun control laws working out for you?

5. Nemo says:

Can’t wait for these to show up in my city. We’ve already got those bicycles you can rent with a smart phone app. Then we wonder why our taxes keep going up every year.

• John Deaux says:

The cesspool known as new orleans got started with the blue bike rental a short time ago. It isn’t working out to well, people are getting shot off of them then the bikes are getting stolen fairly regularly.

6. snuffy says:

Why would you need to give a gun to anyone in WV? They all have at least 2. Conservative estimate.

• Daryl says:

Actually, I have about 31. Someday I’m gonna gather them all up and take inventory.

7. Mac says:

Wonder what the value of the batteries are

• Nemo says:

Wonder if the batteries are made by Tesla. We maybe could spared the aggravation of having them buzzing around if the scooter batteries immolate the riders. Roast snowflake anyone?

8. John the River says:

Those electric scooters are completely silent. Walking to work I’ve had the sons-of-bitches whoosh by me without a seconds warning. And inches away. Always with a fat smug little son of a bitch perched on the girly bench-seat.

Good thing I retired, I was starting to have fantasies about slingshots and steel ball bearings.