Oh well, it was worth a shot

It’s not just anti-gun liberals who suffer from firearms ignorance, it’s also the police in Ramsay County, MN. A man was arrested and charged with 2 felonies for being in possession of short-barreled shotgun and a machine gun. The only problem for the prosecutor in this case is that the machine gun is just an ordinary semi-automatic rifle and the shotgun is actually a pistol. Even crazier, it took authorities almost 3 months to figure this out.

The Twin Cities Pioneer Press reports that this ridiculous story began last March when Christopher and Lisa Stowe’s 13-year-old son allegedly threatened to kill a classmate at school. The police interview the son and he said he didn’t mean to make a threat and would chose his words more carefully next time. The cops decided and a judge agreed that this was grounds to get search warrant to raid the Stowe’s home. Police found several firearms including two they were sure were illegal.

This entry was posted in To Protect and Serve. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Oh well, it was worth a shot

1. WiscoDave says:

More info would be nice also pictures of the actual firearms that caused the seizure would be nice.
    Remember, ignorance is only an excuse for the authorities…

2. Alemaster says:

And in the process, the cop shops have a pretty good record of ruining or scaring the confiscated firearms with their Evidence Room ID etching. regards, Alemaster

3. Gater, OKC says:

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

I believe the reason it took three months to determine those weren’t illegal firearms was because someone said, “Oh God, we’ve screwed up,” an they spent the rest of the time trying to come up with a charge.

I would also venture to say the charge of unsafe storage was a cover-your-ass charge.

Thompson-Center makes single-shot pistols that fire shot shells. They had to keep the barrels to 14″ length so as to not be accused of a sawed-off shotgun.

4. Shell says:

“revolvers aren’t technically pistols”

Oh good goddam. Yes, they are.

Revolvers were referred to as pistols back in the 1800s. A quick glance through some of the books from that time period will confirm that and yes, I tell that to every smartass that feels the need to correct me when I call my revolver a pistol.

• Shell says:

I get the same stupid shit from people. “That’s not a ‘pistol’, that’s a ‘revolver’. This is a pistol (holds up semi-auto handgun).”

“It’s a revolving pistol, you mental midget. The one you’re holding is a semi-automatic pistol.”

All anyone has to do is look up “pistol” in the dictionary. Paraphrasing, it’s a firearm designed to be wielded in one hand.

5. Nemo says:

Here’s the real deal, IMHO. Cops, during the search, found a bunch of rifles THAT THEY WANTED FOR THEMSELVES, so INVENTED charges to justify confiscation of the ENTIRE “ARSENAL”.