Old Skool

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Old Skool

1. Steve the Engineer says:

In the Far East, they used paddle fans off of long wooden crankshafts. I’m guessing because no one had to balance the fan blades so they wouldn’t wobble. Great example is in The Long Bar in Raffles in Singapore. Pic via Trip Advisor – (Copy & paste into your browser)

2. Jonathan says:

very much so – I’ve read about t hem but not actually seen them. I’m surprised the pulley isn’t in one corner of the room with a shaft through the floor to the basement for a servant (or slave) to turn by hand.

3. Upriverdavid says:

Check out the store/ restaurant in Dufur Oregon….They have the originals..I have pics but don’t have a clue how to post them….Good food also….
    I couldn’t believe what I saw when I looked up to the ceiling, waay cool….

4. Unclezip says:

Restaurant down the road has a quad set running off a wall-mounted drive. Damned cool.

5. singlestack says:

I’ve been to several restaurants in Louisiana and Mississippi that had fans daisy chained. One had 9 fans running off one motor.

6. Andrew says:

It goes so well with the 6 security cameras hanging from the roof. Yeesh. So much for ambiance.

7. Leonard Jones says:

Kinda reminds me of the old line shafts that powered multiple machines back in
    the 19th century. They were usually driven by a stream engine and drove a
    horizontal shaft with many pullies to multiple machines on the factory floor.
    They are still in use today in paper mills.

• Tsgt Joe says:

In 1980 I got out of the AF and went to work at an industrial sheet metal company. They had been in the same building since 1917. The system line shafts and belt drives were still there. Of course everything was converted to electric motors with up to date safety equipment, but there were a couple of old guys who had been there before the conversion and could show how it would have worked.

8. Aaron says:

These are old style but new, a company called Fanimation makes these belt powered fans.

They also make a modern version of a paddle fan

9. jack says:

its a southern thing for sure. ive seen it throughout the southeast and some west coast towns. alls good till it throws a belt!