Stand Your Ground

A man who was captured on surveillance video fatally shooting another man in Clearwater, Florida, during a parking-spot spat as his young son watched nearby will not be arrested or charged by police, according to Pinellas County Sheriff.

“I don’t make the law. I enforce the law,” Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said during a news conference today. “The law in the state of Florida today is that people have a right to stand their ground and have a right to defend themselves when they believe that they are in harm.”

This entry was posted in Florida, Guns, News. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Stand Your Ground

1. Aesop says:

Saw the vid.

If expired badass hadn’t foolishly decided to escalate a verbal confrontation into assault and battery on a guy with a gun, he wouldn’t be an ex-person today.

The only tragedy is that he’d apparently successfully bred prior to expiring, which nullifies a Darwin Award, but hopefully his life’s final lesson won’t be lost on young Dindu, who witnessed it.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    This is why an armed society is a polite society, at least when the concept of concealed carry is understood well enough by brighter lights than this week’s example.
    Some mistakes in life you don’t get to make twice, so if you’re not bulletproof, best not to batter people to the ground with impunity, as if such is your birthright.

At least no one’s trying to shop pictures of the dead thug from when he was an angelic 12 year old choir boy this time around, AFAIK.

2. Irish says:

I’m conflicted on this one without knowing more info.

First off, The shooter is NOT the law, or security or parking lot attendant and watcher of

handicap spaces.

In all honesty, IF he had just walked by and didn’t decide to interact with the woman in the car we

never would have heard of all the characters that interacted that day. Secondly,

the guy coming out of the store didn’t just tell him to “fuck off” and mind his own business.

He walked up and assaulted him.

I read a comment thread that said this Drejka has approached others that have parked

in the HP spots at this store. I’m wondering if the fact that he carries gives him a little extra

bravado? This is why my philosophy is MYOB.

My 2 cents.

Like I just said to another commenter, I do my absolute best to avoid a fight when I’m carrying a gun. I don’t talk shit to anybody, and if anybody talks shit to me, I just smile and walk away. It’s better to have hurt feelings than to take a man’s life over a petty reason.

• Aesop says:

Ah, but he didn’t shoot, nor threaten to shoot the illegal parker, in which case he’d be both wrong, and under indictment.
      He just told her she was being an idiot.
      Sticks and stones defense, your honor.

When Bubba Dindu decided to make it a knockout game, he caught a chestful of wisdom.

Net win for society.
      Victim volunteered to get himself shot.

As they’re reputed to say thereabouts, “some people jus’ need killin’.”

I’m not arguing that being the jello sheriff of the handicapped spot gives anyone the right to execute people for parking violations.

But he didn’t do that, and he didn’t shoot her.
      He shot the big young thug who knocked him to the ground by way of greeting.

No bill. No crime.

And as a bonus, I suspect no one illegally parks in that handicapped space for some good amount of time to come, and Dindu’s now-exGF never does it again in her life. People are funny like that.

And just think, it only cost the shooter about 300 bucks minimum and a half day to hire a lawyer to give a statement to the police! And he would’ve proven himself to be a bigger idiot if he didn’t hire that lawyer.
        Sorry, I don’t have the time or money for that shit. A smart man would’ve just shook his head and walked away.

• Aesop says:

Agreed.

But court cases, almost by definition, are not comprised of smart nor sensible people all acting wisely, or in their best interests.

It’s almost always what happens when irresistible Stupid meets immovable Reality.

In this case, at about 950fps.
          I don’t condone the behavior on either side, and most of us would, indeed, have gone at this differently all around.

But one guy’s behavior was entirely legal and justifiable, and the other’s was entirely criminal.

One woman’s stupid cost her a bf, and the presumable baby-daddy of her child.

One guy’s stupid cost him 300 bucks, half a day, a bruised @$$, and 60¢ of ammo.

The other guy’s stupid cost him everything he had, and everything he’d ever be.

Once again, intelligence and physics is, indeed, what rules the natural world.

3. Sal Racone says:

He won’t shove anyone without provocation again, and she probably learned not to park in handicapped spaces again. An overall good outcome.

4. Skipperdaddy says:

While I agree that it’s a dick-move to park in a handicap spot, it’ also asking for trouble to call someone out for doing so. It wasnt his place, he aint the parking police, if he needed the spot wait your fucking turn. But obviously he was capable enough to exit his vehicle and go over and start some shit. I can’t watch the vid as the wifi on the boat is too weak, but when I first read about this yesterday, I just thought how unnecessary the whole episode was. The shooter being a CCW holder should have excersized caution and more prudent judgement to avoid stupid bullshit like this. What a fucking idiot.

When I’ve got a gun on me, which is anytime I get up out of my easy chair, I do my best to walk around a fight. I don’t want or need the hassle it comes with pulling my gun out in public, much less shooting somebody.

• pigpen51 says:

It doesn’t seem that hard, does it? I mean, it is a no brainer to avoid an argument when carrying, but at any time, actually. Because I don’t fight, if attacked and forced to fight, without a weapon, I would probably over do it, and would only stop when one of us was hurt bad.

• Skipperdaddy says:

I carry to get my ass out of trouble and harms way, not to see how much trouble I can start.

5. irontomflint says:

I shudder when reading the sherriff’s comment; “I don’t make the law. I enforce the law.”
    That is what the Nazis said as they were being tried for their war crimes after WW2;
    “I was just following orders.”

6. Boone says:

Saw this this morning with the wife and had our 1st disagreement of the day. I agree it is a shame that a man is dead, however, there was much blame to go around on all parties. The dindu saying she has a right to park wherever she wants did not help my opinion of the the victims family. I know camera angles can be misleading but it did appear to be a much larger Male that came out and knocked the shooter to the ground. Without knowing his health or physical imitations he may very well have felt threatened for his life. It’s hard for me to convey to my wife what it’s like to be in that situation when you’ve never been there before. Having been there, it’s a terrible experience when you know that your next move may be to end someone’s life (or die trying).

7. Steve says:

Lots of bad moves all around. Media is talking about the shooter’s history but nothing about the dead guy. According to a cop that pulled up his history the dead guy has 7 felony arrests and 5 misdemeanor arrests. Pretty good for being 28yo.

8. Dan says:

This is a classic example in the ongoing saga of “When Assholes Collide”. Asshole number one is the ratchet who parks her ass in a handicap spot because she’s too lazy to walk the extra 20 feet.
    Asshole number two is the busybody who thinks he’s the parking lot monitor and injects himself into the scene when he’d have been smarter just too walk away. The prize asshole of course is asshole number three who walks out of the store, sees honkyman giving his baby momma a ration of shit and immediately assaults asshole number two knocking him to the ground…..and getting a dose of lead poisoning in response. If ANY of these three assholes had decided to mind their own business and act civilized no violence would have occurred. While it would appear this shooting is legal under Florida law honkey man with the gun is about to learn just how rough a ride it’s going to be in court when the civil lawsuit is filed. He may not do time for this shooting but odds are good he’s going to end up bankrupt as a result of not minding his own business. Moral of the story…..
    Don’t play the “When Assholes Collide” game. It’s a game where NOBODY wins.

• Steady Steve says:

Florida tort law states that you can’t be sued for a justified shooting. Momma dindu gets nothing if the wannabe parking cop is not charged. Florida at least had the common sense to enact that rule.