Jack update

Well, I’ve had more than a few readers asking how Jack was doing lately.
He’s doing remarkably well considering the little bastard was about half dead just 2 weeks ago… he’s got a vet’s appointment set for Tuesday for his shots and a check-up. If he’s doing as well as I think he is, I’ll set up another appointment to cut off his nuts. I’ve got to do something to get the puppy and the aggressiveness out of him.

Here’s a couple videos of him – the first one was me hoping he’d go balls out attacking my lawnmower like he did last week but I think today he was more interested in fucking with the chickens. You can hear how pissed they are in the background.

This one is of him contemplating getting his ass stomped by Kendall’s donkeys.

This entry was posted in Dogs, Jack. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Jack update

1. Winston Smith says:

Did i hear somebody say ‘never give a command you cant enforce’?

He’s just now starting to learn his name. I never claimed the dog was smart.

• Winston Smith says:

Oh, I think he’s the smart one in the vid………
        My girl has that Selective Hearing too.

Has he quit being snappish with Lucy?

I don’t know, I keep them separated. Lucy runs when she sees him and that triggers his chase instinct. I’m pretty sure if he were to catch her she’d panic and snap at him, then that’ll be all she wrote for that little dog.

• Timbotoo says:

You mean he don’t know jack?

2. Andrew says:

You’re such a pushover.

And nice harness. I like the handle on the back. Where’d you get it?

Tractor Supply, about 20 bucks. They tend to run a little large so keep that in mind. The one he has on is rated medium, for a beagle if that gives you any idea as to how large they run.
      That handle is very handy – it allows you to restrain your dog without accidentally choking it. I’ve had that style of harness on all my hounds and hunting dogs.

• Andrew says:

Thanks. Wife’s new dog ate up the really nice leather harness from the old dog because PUPPY!

And I had a suspicion it was Tractor Supply.

Love a harness on a dog. Best thing for them and for their owners.

3. doverthere says:

I think this is a good partnership. He’ll be pissed for a bit when you have him nutted.
    Bet Jack remembers his name after that.

4. Deb says:

Love the tail wag…if that’s what you call it! He looks like a goofy dog. Is he any better with Legal Lucy?

No, I have to keep them apart. I’ve got a kennel ordered for him to lock his ass up so I can let CGD and Legal Lucy out more often.

5. angel says:

He minds about as good as you do.

6. Deb says:

Be sure to get a video of LL peeing on Jack’s kennel when Jack is in it.

7. John Deaux says:

Great looking boy, do yourself a favor and attach a line to him, not too big but something you can get a hold of and about 20 foot long. Use it to control him, he needs to think he has to come when called. Call him to you then slowly pull the line to yourself until he’s along side, then praise him for being a good boy. Eventually you can shorten that line to about 5 – 6 inches, he has no idea how long that line is.. Command, reinforce, then praise every time, he will get it.

Believe it or not, 99% of the time he comes when called. Today he was just fixated on those damned donkeys. I think it’s the first time he’s ever seen them seeing as they usually hang out down near the pond.

• John Deaux says:

Ok bro, just keep the line method in mind if he decides to blow you off too many times, I was showed that by an old dog trainer, it works suprisingly well

Oh, I’ll use it for sure, if for no other reason than my own reassurances.
          He’s so damned eager for attention that I usually don’t have to call him because he’s already underfoot.

8. rick says:

Kenny, that 2nd video tells me of the three species shown, the human is the dumb one. You are over your head. I’m no dog whisperer but lemme tell you a coupla’ stories.

One, I was given a 5 month old German Shepard runaway who had obviously been severely mistreated by some SOB. Within a few weeks I had that skitterish dog feeling right at home, even obeying complex commands.

Two, my sister had three dogs of different breeds, two female, one male. The male was the outcast, sullen and despondent. He glombed on to me as if to say, Thank God, another male. We became best buds. The dominant female did not like that. She nipped at every chance she could. My sister said that female was always like that. I thought it was a big lie and an excuse for bad behavior. My sister went further to say that dog was untrainable. Ha!

I set out with a small block of cheese (to cut off bite size rewards) to prove that was not the case. Within twenty minutes I had that ‘untrainable’ domineering female dog (plus her other two dogs) obeying every command I could think of. The key is being consistent. Just like in training humans. Kenny, in that video you’re not being consistent.

And F that for cutting off HIS balls for YOUR lacking. Sorry, but that’s the reality of it. Good on ya for taking him in and giving him a good home. But ya gotta carry through to the finish. Dogs want to please you. Show him the leadership he craves. Man, up your game. You’ll both be the better for it.

I’m not being consistent by raising my voice to tell the dog no and then lowering it for my commentary? I was barely muttering with the camera a foot from my face and he was 20 yards away.
      All dogs are different. CGD was completely feral when I got him and he’s gentle as a lamb right now. I think I did pretty good with him. And the one before him. And the one before him. And the…
      And the balls… I live on unfenced property with dogs all around. If one bitch upwind goes into heat, instinct and lust is going to override all training and he’ll be gone. That’s one reason. He’s also aggressive, a characteristic of the breed and I’ve got an old dog and a small dog that can’t compete with him physically. That’s another.

• rick says:

Yes sir, the moderation of your voice means little in the scheme of things, Sure, later on but for now you need to establish a basic rule of commands. The inflections – and the includes moderation of your voice – will come later. By God hopefully before you slice off his balls!

See here, you say all dogs are different. I do not disagree. However, in their hearts lie a desire to please or whatever you call it. No matter the breed. YOUR command of of the situation can overcome the condition. Surely you have seen that picture of the stray cat walking in front of a row of German Shepherds. And NOT ONE DOG POUNCING ON THE CAT! Oh they wanted to, in the picture we could see they wanted to. But they were TRAINED not to

Friend, you can do that.

For the sake of Jack, for the sake of your future well being I urge you not to neuter Jack. Your well being? What do I mean by that? Well, 1) what does CGD have to say about it? Besides, Charlie needs a friend. And as cool as you are you don’t fit the bill. 2) the perimeter and such. F Lucy, she’s s house kitten. 3) Nothing like a new found rescue to repay you in spades.. A leaf falling on a chicken, oh hell no!, some marmot come sniffing around that CGD let slip -F that.

Dude, you just got your self the most grateful eager beaver buck Pvt. Have you lost your mind? I am here to help you find it. Act like a Colonel in your two chuck army. You’ve already enough bad decisions to write a book. Stop already. Don’t make Jack pay for your fuck up.. #Don’tsnipJack

• rick says:

Kenny, those are excuses for behavior. Sorry.

• rick says:

And excuses for lack of leadership. Like I said, I am no dog whisperer. But I have come to find that as an employer if I think of my employees as dogs – not that I work then like dogs because I don’t, actually I paid better than my competition – it was easier for me as an employer.

Anyways, canines looks to us for leadership, They thrive on us providing leadership;. Become the best you can be. For them. Do not sacrifice their parts for your lacking.

Okay, you’re starting to get insulting with the ‘lack of leadership’ crap. You’ve seen a whopping 2 minutes worth of video and based your judgement on that.
          I told you my issues (dogs in heat, aggressiveness, etc) and you’ve offered no solutions at all, only criticism fueled by emotion, not facts.
          I’ll rely on my own years of experience owning large dogs as well as the opinion of my vet, thank you very much.

• Jimmy R says:

I was wondering when you were going to get tired of this. When men want opinions stemming from emotions, we go to our wives.

9. John Varga says:

Glad to see he’s doing well. Cut him.

10. Pineslayer says:

I’m glad he seems to be doing better, health wise. Catahoula’s are not your typical dog. He will attach to you very soon, but not as a ‘dog/master. You are equals and it will be as loyal as any bond.

He already reminds me of the kid I was friends with in grade school – mischievous but always trying to pass the blame off on me.
      He’s already attached to me, I can’t go anywhere without tripping over him. He is smart as hell though, it took me about 30 seconds to teach him to sit. Very eager to please.

Play nice.