One log load – almost like the old days

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to One log load – almost like the old days

1. Matt says:

That truck must have one hell of a set of rear springs.

2. Nemo says:

Couple years ago, during a logging operation on property I own in a Northeast state, the logging co. pulled a hemlock log that was 52″ across the base, 24 feet long. They had to cut it in half so that it could be loaded onto the saw mill truck ’cause the grapple couldn’t pick it up whole. I forget how many board feet it scaled, but it was a lot.

• Elmo says:

When I was a kid, a one log load came into the mill while I was at the scale ramp. It was a Sugar Pine butt that was just over six feet in diameter at the small end. For some odd reason I remember it scaled 8,330 board feet.
      It was a permit load. The driver guessed he was about 10,000 pounds over. They had to dig a pit and shove it on from the side with a couple of D7s.

3. Martinez Alex says:

That’s some fine lumber right there.

4. brighteyes says:

Is that a hunk a Hemlock? If so, haven’t seen one that big since I was a kid. It they cut it in plank it makes beautiful bar tops. Throw a hunk of hemlock in an open fire or fire place without a shield and it’ll throw hot coal ten foot through the air when she pops. There was always some wise ass that would do that on occasion.

• Elmo says:

From the color of the pink heartwood I’m guessing it’s Doug Fir. That makes for fine firewood.
      Big old Doug Fir is pretty famous for getting conk rot, which makes the wood full of white speck. The wood looks sound, but they’ll often cull the whole log when it gets to the mill. Perhaps that’s why it’s in the back of Mr. Logger’s (1/2 ton???) pickup.

5. Bootmaker says:

a few more nice table tops for the roadside tourist trade ?

6. Westcoastdeplorable says:

Time for new rear springs and shocks!
    Reminds me of my Dad who would load a 3/4 ton Chevy with about 50 bales of Timothy hay. That old truck would scrunch down and take it, but it was a mighty slooooow trip!

7. Skipperdaddy says:

Jesus drove a Chevy. Thats why he walked everywhere he went.

• Ed says:

Just remember…………….on a quiet night, if you listen very, very carefully, you can almost hear the old Chevys rust.

Hey, Hey, My, My. Rust.Never.Sleeps!!

• crazyeighter says:

Actually, he drove a Honda, but wasn’t very proud of it; it was a “Mom” car.

“For I speak not of my own Accord.” John 12:49

8. rightwingterrorist says:

Sort of looks like my truck, except I’ve got the coveted Knuckledraggin sticker on the bumper.

• California southpaw. says:

Let’s get Knuckledraggin bumper stickers going again!

• Elmo says:

Did not know they existed. My bad.
        I’m not a bumper sticker kind of guy, but I would proudly display one of them suckers.

9. RonM says:

What the hell is he going to do with it? Must have one hell of a big chain saw at home.

10. Daryl says:

Got me watching logging videos now.