Getting drafted in 1969

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Getting drafted in 1969

1. SgtBob says:

September 1964, Fort Polk Louisiana. I often reminded myself: You volunteered for this. Whatever the drill sergeants do, you have RA in front of your serial number.

• rayvet says:

What did RA stand for? If you volunteered during the draft were you “treated” differently or given different assignments because of you voluntary service? I was just a wee one in mid 60’s and always wondered how that worked.

• Tsgt Joe says:

Since the navy and air force were all volunteers we didnt have that distinction. It was said that the best recruiting tool for the navy and air force was the army draft. I know I would never have gotten around to joining the air force if there hadnt been a draft.

• Daryl says:

Navy and Marines did take inductees for a few months. Air Force got plenty of enlistees who joined to avoid the hard life of the Army.

• Bill says:

Regular Army. YOU joined, not got “Voluntold”.

• SgtBob says:

;The Army had four classifications: RA was Regular Army (voluntary enlistment), ER for Enlisted Reserve, US for draftee, and NG for National Guard. In basic training, all were treated the same. RA’s enlisted for a particular field; US, take your chances; NG, chosen field, dependent on local unit; ER also dependent on local unit.

2. L. G. says:

“Well, come on all of you, big strong men
    Uncle Sam needs your help again
    He’s got himself in a terrible jam
    Way down yonder in Vietnam
    So put down your books and pick up a gun
    We’re gonna have a whole lotta fun

And it’s one, two, three
    What are we fighting for?
    Don’t ask me, I don’t give a damn
    Next stop is Vietnam;
    And it’s five, six, seven
    Open up the pearly gates
    Well there ain’t no time to wonder why
    Whoopee! we’re all gonna die”

3. paulb says:

I was 4f by 1974 so I did not get drafted. RA was Regular Army though as you had NG ( National Guard) and AR (Army Reserves)

sort of a pecking order.

• l2a3 says:

And AUS (Army of the United States) and RA (Regular Army) in 1969. My report date to the Draft Board was 1 April 1969, So I called and asked it was an April Fools Joke, I was told NO! I would get my physical on 1 April 1969, be typed classified on 15 April and shipped out on 30 April, as a Navy Corpsman. So I joined the US Army and served 23+ years.

• Bill says:

RA= Regular Army
      NG= National Guard
      ER= Enlisted Reserves

4. Daryl says:

I got a bus ticket in the mail first of Feb 73, one way to Columbus. Week later I got a letter saying don’t bother, draft is over. I kept ticket but never used it. Still have my cars.

5. John h. says:

What was 1-H? In 1973 may.
    John h.

6. brighteyes says:

Country Joe and the Fish. Haven’t heard that in a spell. I was ready to be one of those boys in the picture. My number was up so I joined the Corp.

7. MadMarlin says:

Ha, I did basic at Dix in 86. Still remember my di’s, DS Bey, and Velanos. I grew up mainly in Baton Rouge area, so I never really saw snow. The only kind of snow I remember in LA was more like a cheap snow cone ice type of snow. The type of snow where you would get a concussion from a snowball. My basic started in Feb and there was melting snow the first week I was there and during a class one day it started to snow. Huge friggn flakes. I was mesmerized and staring out the window when DS Bey started in on me for not paying attention and asked what I was staring at. I told him I had never seen real snow and was just looking at it float down. That was around 8:45 AM, DS Bey told me if it was so interesting I should go stand at attention outside in the snow, with what I was wearing at that moment. I was out there till class was over @ 10. I actually had a good time watching the snow fall, although I was freezing my nads off. Ahh, good times.

8. Mals says:

I took basic(or it took me) at Ft. Dix in ’68. Recruits were derisively called “DICK-HAID” by the cadre. Was anyone else called “DICK-HAID”?

• Inbred Redneck says:

Only when they were bein’ nice. Fuckin’ idiot, waste of sperm, Jodie’s buddy, asshole, worm, Momma’s boy, queer or queer bait, VC target… I can’t remember too many of the other terms but those DIs sure did have a way with words, didn’t they?
      Ft. Lewis, WA Oct. ’67 to Jan. ’68. Got orders for AIT in the sunny South at Ft Jackson, SC. Got there and there was fuckin’ snow on the ground.