The National Popular Vote Movement

U.S.A. –(AmmoLand.com)- Since President Trump won the 2016 election, one idea has been gaining steam in some quarters – the National Popular Vote movement. Those pushing it note that two of the last five presidential elections have seen the person with the higher popular vote total lose the election. In 2000, Al Gore lost to George W. Bush. In 2016, Trump beat Hillary Clinton.

President Trump has been a godsend for Second Amendment supporters, primarily for his Supreme Court appointments. Certainly, if she had been elected Hillary Rodham Clinton would be pushing to enact the wish lists of Charles Schumer, Dianne Feinstein, Michael Bloomberg, and other anti-gun zealots. Many are upset, thinking that democracy has been thwarted.

Now, let’s be honest, the United States is not a democracy. It’s a republic. Furthermore, the Founders were rightfully wary of a pure democracy. We’ve seen how “pure” democracies like Australia and the United Kingdom rammed through massive gun bans after mass shootings. To accept the National Popular Vote would be to push us closer to that brink.

This entry was posted in Liberals, Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The National Popular Vote Movement

1. Anonymous says:

Let’s be brutally honest. The Democrats only want to abolish the Electoral College because they lost two recent presidential elections. If the results had gone the other way, they would be defending the Electoral College.

And, when it comes to Trump’s 2016 victory, without significant documented vote fraud, Trump’s victory would have been even bigger.

2. 1911A1 says:

Thus proving that The Constitution works as intended, preventing mob rule. We’re on a path in that direction as it is, and Constitutional safeguards such as this show just how bad an idea majority wins is.

3. Andy says:

When McCain lost, I was ready to toss the Electoral College too when he carried the country’s popular vote. Thank goodness I did my own research and found WHY we have it and how dangerous it truly is if all we had was the popular vote. Shit! McCain in the white house would have been a disgrace and a disaster of biblical proportions. Now if we could only get someone in there that is not a career politician and keeps their promises. Hmmmm, who could that be? It sure as hell isn’t that cunt Hillary.

4. Sanders says:

With the popular vote, the big coastal cities will decide every single election.

No thanks, I’ll take my Constitution, as is.

5. Lineman says:

If they implemented voting how it should be there would never be a Commie in power again at any level except the local level…

6. cap'n fast says:

I like the electoral collage. not one politician wants an Constitutional Convention to occur,because thats probably what it would take to get rid of it.. once a convention is called to order, anything can happen. things like term limits. or gun control, or rights of the unborn, or eliminate the popular vote or eliminate the electoral collage, or hell, just about anything. and john q ignats can’t say squat about it let alone a politician. it would be the ultimate crap game of politics because only the crazies would win i fear. by law, what the convention would consider is only controlled by the what the delegates want. no outside interference allowed.
    I really like our Constitution two hundred plus years and still valid(if only democrats would read the intent of the founders in it.).

• warhorse says:

anything an article 5 convention did would still have to be ratified, just like any other amendment. any attempt to use an article 5 convention to alter or abolish the constitution in any other way, by it’s nature removes the authority that convention had to do anything and makes everything from that point null and void.

7. Chris Spratt says:

UK is not a pure democracy and I’m pretty sure Australia is not either.

8. Djamer says:

I don’t like it when people tell me to worry. Worrying accomplishes NOTHING. Taking action is the only thing that accomplishes ANYTHING.