Yeah, I’ve never shot up marijuana before either

In a few weeks, Utah will vote on Proposition 2, a controversial measure that would legalize medical marijuana in the state. Regardless of the result, lawmakers have vowed to re-legislate the issue and will consider a compromise bill that, compared to Prop 2, would restrict how marijuana could be consumed and who could grow it. Jim Dabakis, a Democratic state senator from Salt Lake City, thinks it’s kind of weird that a bunch of politicians are going to shape Utah’s weed policies without ever having gotten stoned—so over the weekend, the self-described “marijuana virgin” decided to trek to Las Vegas (where cannabis is legal) and try the stuff himself.

Thus, this gem of a video was born, in which Dabakis—who explains that he’d “never tasted, smoked, eaten, shot up marijuana in my life”—struggles incredibly hard to open a bag of weed gummies, cautiously licks half of one, then pops it in his mouth.
MORE/VIDEO

This entry was posted in Drugs, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Yeah, I’ve never shot up marijuana before either

1. Guairdean says:

Hopefully, he won’t wind up like Reverend Jim from Taxi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACF4XDznGEs

• Hogbody says:

This is why you always have two or more Mormons at deer camp. They’ll keep each other honest. Just one, and you wind up with the kind of debauchery that leads to weed gummies…

2. rob says:

Utah’s on the verge of making a big mistake, just like every other state that’s legalized it. I’ve done the research, believe me; I also smoked weed for 40 years, so I know whereof I speak. Yeah, yeah, there are plenty of smart guys like you and me who smoke weed, but trust me there are a plethora of 80 IQ assholes too.

This won’t end well, I guarantee it.

3. Tsgt Joe says:

Next week, here in michigan, we are voting on legalizing recreational use of marijuana. As a social worker most of the foster care cases I was involved with, substance abuse was the major component. I realy would like to see it treated the same as alcohol. No good has come from criminalizing it.

• Mike_C says:

Not sure I follow, can you unpack that a little more?

Are you saying that legal problems resulting purely from possessing marijuana (just getting caught with pot, not talking about doing illegal/harmful things to get pot, or money for pot) were at the root of kids being taken away and placed into foster care? If yes then I guess I get what you’re saying.

If no (as in effects of USING pot is what leads to kids getting put into foster care) then I don’t understand the logic.

• Tsgt Joe says:

Looking back at what I wrote, I wasnt clear. A lot of our cases involved people neglecting kids because they were abusing substances. When it was drugs, not alcohol, there seemed to be a lower threshhold for removal, additionally people who were using illegal substances had the burden of criminal convictions that made it moredifficult to get them back in the mainstream. Please dont get me wrong neglect is neglect whether its the result of mental ilness or drug abuse, I just dont see that societyhas benifited from criminalizing certain items. Prohibition proved you cant stop use and we could do better treating it as a social problem than a criminal one. I personally dont think drugs or alcohol are good and dont use anything.

Play nice.