Bikers provide security at Chico church

CHICO — When members of the 823 Hellbent Motorcycle Club of Chico rode up to East Avenue Church just days after the Camp Fire began, they weren’t expecting what they saw.

What they expected was a few dozen evacuees. What they saw was hundreds living in fear and chaos.

The bikers had come to drop off 50 of about 100 hygiene kits they’d organized and assembled. They found hundreds of people who’d fled to the church as an unofficial shelter. The men left all 100 of their kits with volunteers, and understanding that it would barely make a dent in the need, they found the church’s pastor, Ron Zimmer to ask, what can we do?
-Inbredredneck

This entry was posted in California. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Bikers provide security at Chico church

1. bill says:

I don’t know much about MC clubs and the culture. However, their respect for the road and other drivers indicates, to me at least, that they (MC Club Riders on Harleys) are solid citizens and generally care about the safety of those around them. I find them to be, in general, the most courteous drivers on the road. I can’t say same for the packs of yoots driving on the roads on their Japanese bikes doing wheelies and causing havoc wherever they ride. YMMV.

2. QP says:

God Bless America.

3. Boone says:

I remember when the bikers provided security at Altamont. Good times…

4. The only quibble I have with the story is that I consider those men to be Sheepdogs, not wolves.

• Highlander (no More..) says:

Had the same thought meself!

• Mike H says:

You would do well to read Jack Donavan’s “The way of men”, and “Becoming the Barbarian.
        The correct term would Be our wolves.
        dont insult them by calling them sheep dogs or noble puppies.
        Or we culd honor them and simply call them Men.
        Sparta had no need of walls. Sparta’s men were the walls.
        and that is what made america great at on time.
        we had Men .

• arc says:

Whats wrong with a wolf? Timber wolves can be trained as well as any “domestic” dog.

5. Highlander (no More..) says:

A reminder to all that .gov can not protect you, even if they had a mind to. Its sad that the refugees did not have the self-motivation to organize and protect those who are less capable. They waited for someone else to do it for them. Sad

• Judy says:

It’s because they were taught that the ‘State’ will take care of them. And it started in the cradle, reinforced in the local school system, preached on the boob-tube and repeated by everyone they associate within their little bubble. Most people out there haven’t a clue as to what it is like to not have a safe place to sleep, food to eat…You finish the list. I’ll get off my soap box.

• ncgreg231LC2 says:

that would have been a long list! and all of those people in the shelter (and eveyone impacted by those fires) were just given their first clue! thanks for sharing the soapbox!

6. pigpen51 says:

Again we see an example of, Don’t Judge a Book by it’s Cover.

7. Sanders says:

What I learned from this is to avoid refugee shelters – even if you are a refugee.

8. Steve Brown says:

“We’re like the wolves protecting the lambs. Sometimes it takes a wolf to protect people from the other wolves out there.”
    Never was a truer word said.

9. Griffin says:

Way to go guys!

10. Hank Spurlock says:

Wirecutter, the story is factually wrong and misrepresents East Ave.Chrch, the Hell Bent MC and the response of the Chico PD. Please check out the post by the Pastor of the Church on their Facebook page. Thanks.