Finally – something I’m not at risk for

It’s something that’s been widely debated for years, and now scientists have ‘clear evidence’ that phone radiation causes cancer – at least in rats.

Researchers from the National Toxicology Program found that radiation from phones using 2G and 3G caused male rats to develop cancerous tumours in the heart and brain.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Finally – something I’m not at risk for

1. RDB says:

This”study” has already been found to be lacking in scientific value. It’s results bring up more questions than answers.

2. chewydog says:

Rats should cease using cell phones immediately.

• Jeffery in Alabama says:

Gosh, I hope they weren’t driving too!

• Butch says:

What really do they have to say to each other? “Watch out on the exercise wheel, one of the bearings is going bad?” “Boy the maze was really confusing today!”

3. bogsidebunny says:

Goody, since I don’t use one I might wind up being the Omega man. always wanted to drive around not having to worry about asshole drivers to contend with.

4. Andy says:

Causes cancer at least in rats? Does that mean the democratic party will dwindle?

5. bobdog says:

I thought it was fluoride in our drinking water that was robbing us of our manly essence.

Turns out it was cell phones all along. It’s a Commie plot, I tell ya.

6. Bear says:

I looked into this one back in February. AS RDB notes, it’s flawed. Here’s the write-up I did back then:

I took the liberty of skimming over the first study. To summarize, rats were placed in resonant chambers for 9 hours, 10 minutes per day, 7 days a week, for 2 years.

The rats were exposed to the equivalent of 3, 6, and 9 Watts/kilogram body weight at 900MHz.

A higher than expected rate of tumors was observed.

Now for the problems.

The resonant chambers were specifically designed to prevent anything from attenuating the RF signal, not even the food and water supplies. This was to create a uniform, whole body exposure that is impossible with humans in the real world. (You’d have to wear a head-to-toe body stocking with every inch lined with iPhones to replicate that exposure pattern.)

The power levels were also troublesome. The minimum power tested was 3 W/kg. The FCC-allowable exposure level for cell phones is 1.6 W/kg. That is, the minimum power level in the study was nearly twice that allowed. The highest level tested was 5.6 times that allowed. (Bear in mind that the FCC threshold was already chosen to be low on the safe side.)

In reality, the actual exposure was likely much higher. When the resonant chambers were designed and tested, they used E and H polarity antennas to measure field strength. H field antennas consistently measured higher levels than other instruments, so they lost the H antenna and substituted a second E antenna. This means they only measured one — lower strength — polarity, apparently forgetting that reflections would change the original signal polarity.

They tested insanely high RF levels not seen in the real phone user world, probably underestimated the levels at that, created an exposure geometry not seen by real world phone users, and ran those tests at a duration not experienced by the most dedicated tween text-aholic.

If you’d like an analogy: Humans need around 8 cups of water per day. They force-fed rats — basically at rest — 16-45 cups of water for 9+ hours a day, 7 days a week, for two years, and were surprised to see electrolyte problems.

Or: feed a guy — at rest — 2-5 times as many calories as he needs for two years and be surprised when he gets fat.