“Go to sleep now, you’ll feel better soon”

A nurse at Nashville’s Vanderbilt University Medical Center thought they were giving a frightened patient “something to help (them) relax.” Instead, the nurse mistakenly administered a fatal dose of a drug sometimes used to execute condemned prisoners, WTVF reported.

This entry was posted in Tennessee. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to “Go to sleep now, you’ll feel better soon”

1. Cornholio says:

Fuck. I’ll be there Monday. It’s been real fellas.

2. Walpurgis says:

This shit happens ALL the time. You practice medicine. Wrong surgery, wrong amputation, all sorts of crap.

It’s a fun fact to look up, but 1 in 3 patients admitted to the hospital die there.

• Aesop says:

And that’s absolute bullshit, but thanks for playing.

FTR, there were +/- 37,000,000 hospital admissions in most any year you’d care to look up.

I’m pretty sure we’d notice more deaths than WWII, including the Holocaust, every freaking year.

The actual number of deaths is <800K/yr.

And the vast majority of those deaths are people >85 y.o., so it isn’t like the ones who die are shocking anyone.

So maybe actually look that shit up before you tell us how “fun” it is, when you biff the actual number of deaths by 4600%. (I even rounded that down to go easier on you.)

No excuse, man, that took me 4 mouseclicks to run down in about a minute.

Math: still actually a thing.

As far as the original story: that’s a nurse who needs a criminal trial for manslaughter, after they yank their license for from 10 years to life, and he/she and the people at Vanderbilt who failed to report that to the state need firing and prosecuting.

I expect the civil suit will come to something in the low 8 figures.

Especially as the death could have been avoided by, y’know, looking at the frickin’ label on the vial.

That should be prison time, right there.

Let’s see, when I went to moderate just now there were 2 comments from you to 2 different readers, both of them insulting which seems to be the way all your comments roll.
        I bet you’re a real joy to live with.

• Wayne Duncan says:

CDC reports 2.7 million deaths in USA for 2016.
        Were you referring to deaths in hospitals only?

3. GregN says:

Fun fact. Check out CDC mortality stats for “medical misadventure” (i.e. f#$k ups). Something around 75K to 80K die every year in clinics, hospitals and MD offices because of incompetence.

On the other hand, gotta get rid of those guns because 8 or 9K are murdered and around 10K off themselves by guns every year. Oh and it’s normal to dispose of 1.5 million lumps of tissue every year /sarc

Amazing the lack of perspective isn’t it?

• Aesop says:

Funner fact: there is no support for that imaginary number anywhere on the planet, inclusive.
      It’s brought to you by the same pseudo-science that gave you anthropogenic globull warming, the hazards of second-hand smoke, and spousal abuse claims during Superbowl halftime: i.e. pulled entirely from some SJW’s nether parts. still steaming, and smelling exactly like you’d expect from way up between their butt cheeks.

• Padawan says:

Wow. You’re just a bright ray of fucking sunshine, ain’tcha cupcake?

• Aesop says:

I have even less toleration for the original idiocy recounted in the OP, by Vanderbilt staff, than you do.

Piling on with utter unsupportable nonsense is not therefore A-OK in response.
          But hey, it’s the Internet, do what you like, it’s not like there’s any requirement to be truthful or accurate.

You want sunshine?
          Stick with something sunny.
          I’m looking for any humor in someone killing someone somewhere between in a state of total oblivion, to possibly deliberately.

I’ve posted, over time, probably 5000 lighter, bright, and funnier comments to every nasty one.
          None of them, as rule, full of more nonsense in one post than I put up in a year’s time, let alone in a field I know just a wee bit about.

Kenny, my sincere apologies for putting you to any trouble.
          I’ll give you a pass for awhile, to save you any further trouble.

Best wishes, and thanks for what you do here.

• Wayne Duncan says:

Institute of Medicine “To Err Is Human” (1999), 98,000 iatrogenic deaths annually.

4. WestcoastDeplorable says:

Moral to the story? Stay away from the hospital. Especially near holidays. I friend of mine went to the ER on Labor day complaining of a pain in his leg. Since it was a holiday and they were short-staffed, instead of doing a scan they sent him home with aspirin and painkillers.
    You guessed it…..the problem was a blood clot and they amputated his leg the next day.

• Aesop says:

More malarkey.
      A bloodclot requiring the amputation of a leg in 24 hrs?

S’yeah, right.

It would have had to be a clot the size of his head. They wouldn’t need a scan for that, they could have held him up to the light to see it.

The don’t amputate black, shriveled dead gangrenous legs within 24 hours, and they don’t treat that with aspirin and painkillers either.

This is like 3rd grade playground stories, posted on one blog.

You guys should tell ghost stories, like the one about the amputated hand that wouldn’t die.
      Or the chicken heart that ate New York.

5. FaCubeItches says:

The coroner certified the patient as dead, or extremely sleepy.
    – I.M. Fletcher

6. Putz says:

Work in a hospital. I have seen deaths that have occurred from fuck ups but they are rare. I also have seen a lot more cases of patient’s families claiming fuck ups to any news outlet that will listen because dear old dad or mom or nanna died. They fail to mention that the dearly deceased smoked 4 packs a day for 50 years, drank like a fish and ate shitty foods. Somehow it was the nurses fault that they suddenly and unexpectedly died. Now in this particular case in the article .,,Major fuck up. Like a major take out your checkbook and write the family a blank check type fuck up. Versed usually comes in a 1 to 2 cc brown tinted vial. Vecuronium comes in a 10 cc clear vial and usually needs to be diluted with saline because it is in powder form. It also says in big bold letters on the vial that it is a paralytic and causes respiratory depression. By respiratory depression they really mean that your diaphragm and all other skeletal muscle will cease to move for 45 minutes or so
    (which is a long long time to hold your breath). On the plus side…the bleed the person was having in their head stopped bleeding. As far as all the nifty stats being bandied about in the above comments I have to say that statistically statistics will support anything you want to them to support.

• Butch says:

I just bought a pretty new-ish Scrubs top at Goodwill for $1.99 (sale day). Now all I need is one of those things you listen heart beats with and a surgical mask and I can start talkin shit about medicine on here.

Thinking about getting nurses shoes, hmmmm

7. snuffy says:

I’m a regular reader of this site, and Aesops’ also. I gotta go along with Aesop on this one. Posting obviously outlandish statements with no link to any factual stats should be mocked mercilessly. 1 in 3? I have no connection to the medical field, I’m no rocket surgeon either, but even I know that’s tinfoil hat territory.

8. Mike_C says:

A disturbing proportion of houses burn down after a fire truck pulls up in front of them. To be safe we should ban fire trucks. Also, many houses that burn down do so after firemen have rushed into them. Fucking firemen. Must be some sort of conspiracy.