Range Report: Ruger’s 10/22

The Ruger 10/22 is the .22 everyone wants, everyone keeps, and everyone can afford! Along with the Colt 1911 handgun, the Remington 700, and Browning A5 shotgun, the Ruger 10/22 has become an icon among American shooters. I am not certain it is Ruger’s bestseller, but I would not be surprised if it is. The 10/22 is among the most affordable quality firearms in the world and it chambers the Little Big Man of cartridges, the .22 LR. This means the 10/22 is ideal for training, practice, plinking and small game hunting.

This entry was posted in Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Range Report: Ruger’s 10/22

1. pew pew pew says:

My two 10-22s will eat anything. One is from the 1970s, the other is a 50th Anniversary Carbine. My brother’s take down 10-22 is very finicky about ammo. I heard that from others about their 10-22.

All I’ve had to do on my Carbine is mount Tech sights. She shoots better than I do.

I have Mark White’s book on the 10-22. Over the years he has modified his 10-22s in so many ways they are hardly recognizable. Supposedly they all are tack drivers.

2. Ragnar says:

Had one for years. Love it. Have a couple of those 25 round magazines and never had an issue. Using the “iron” sights now but have a scope and mount I was thinking about putting on. Added a threaded barrel extension and with the can screwed on and subsonic ammo it is extremely quiet.

3. Jeremy says:

I got my first 10-22 when I was in high school. After many years of faithful service I upgraded to a 10-22 match grade. I then gave my original one to a friend.
    Well, the match grade with it’s bull barrel and target stock is a bit much to lug through the woods, so I went looking for another 10-22 sporter. Checking armslist I saw an ad for a 10-22magnum. When I read it through it was a guest listing and several months old so I didn’t call it. Found a nice sporter instead.
    A month or so later I was closing tabs and one was for that magnum. This time I called it . Guy still had it.
    Beautiful gun. Thinking about a cruiser pistol next.

4. singlestack says:

I bought my 1022 at KMart the night before the Brady Bill went into effect. It was ok; nothing to write home about.
    A few years ago I did a trigger job, cut off the stock right behind the front barrel band, glass bedded the barrel and free floated the receiver, and installed a polymer bolt stop and Wolff recoil spring. I fitted a Mini 14 recoil pad to increase the LOP, and refinished the stock. I had a Burris scope on it for a while but I didn’t like having a scope on it so I installed a set of Tech Sights.
    Now it’s a tack driver. In club competitions I can hold my own against high end target rifles and I can hit a squirrel in the eye at 25 meters all day long.
    The funny thing is, it doesn’t like match ammo. It’s more accurate with a Bucket O’ Bullets than with any brand of match ammo I’ve tried.

5. Daryl says:

I had one, nothing special. My Marlin 60 tho, maybe I can’t fancy it up but its my favorite squirrel gun, more accurate than the Ruger.

6. Harry Steele says:

I have had a couple different 10/22’s, they were complete junk. Wouldnt shoot straight, would jam , just not good at all. I have owned multiple Rugers (scout rifles, pistols, mini 14’s, etc…) over the years, and have come to the following opinion based on much real life experience: Rugers are the most inaccurate pieces of junk ever made.

Yet my Ruger MkII is uncannily accurate and all three of my Blackhawks or my Mini-14 puts a bullet wherever I want. Any time I’m having a bad day shooting, all I have to do is pick up one of my Rugers.

• SAM says:

So why do you keep getting them if they are so bad?

• Sanders says:

Strange. I’ve had good luck with Rugers from centerfire pistols, rifles, shotguns, and rimfire carbines and pistols. Nothing quite like pissing cops off at the range by making smiley faces in your target while their shots are all over their target, except in the black.

Maybe the lugnut behind the rear sight is loose?

7. anonymous says:

“I have had a couple different 10/22’s, they were complete junk.”

I’ve heard much the same about late model 10-22s, the ones with quite a bit synthetic parts in them. A damn shame because the old ones were damn near bulletproof – reliability was the rule rather than exception. I have a pair of them, a very early 1980’s Standard and and a 1981 Sporter (my high school graduation gift). Both of which are damn accurate and reliable guns. I’ve almost twice purchased a Compact or take-down model but the reports of possible crapiness scare me off.