Hunting coyotes with shotguns

After hearing a few crunches of leaves, I was confident that a coyote was nearby. I’d stopped calling and was letting Mother Nature do the rest when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye: A coyote was at 25 yards and coming my way to see what all the commotion was. That was the last mistake it made. I was able to make a perfect shot with my Winchester SXT 12 gauge shotgun. The shot leveled the coyote — it never made another move.

Don’t get me wrong: Taking a coyote with a high-powered rifle at several hundred yards is rewarding as well as exciting. However, having a coyote come into a range that’s close enough for an effective shot with a shotgun is incomparable.

This entry was posted in Coyotes, Hunting. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Hunting coyotes with shotguns

1. Sanders says:

I’ve also taken more than a couple using handguns on targets of opportunity, ie out on the ranch and one runs out in front of me.

A Ruger GP100 with a 4″ bbl in .357 mag, a Ruger Super Blackhawk with 7-1/2 bbl in .44 Mag, and mostly with a 1911A1 using a 185 gr. Hornady XTP with Hornady’s max recommended load for Unique.

2. Handy Deplorable says:

They say the “coyote” hunting is fabulous down near the Mexican border as well.

3. RDB says:

I took a coyote down with my Remington 870 Express Magnum. I had 3″ shells with #6 shot in as we were hunting pheasants in a CRP field (thick cover). He was laying in the field, the dogs scared him up and he ran parallel to us. I was on the end of the line (5 guys) so I had enough time to react. Only time we have ever come across a coyote in the field, except when we were actually hunting them.

4. Mike says:

If you’re shooting coyote’s at “several hundred yards” you need to work on your calling technique. I use a .17 Remington and my longest shot to date is 72 paces and that includes a double.

Most of mine were anywhere from 100 to 300 yards away.
      Swirling winds and no concealment to speak of on the east side of the Sierras make sure you don’t get any close in shots.

5. Griffin says:

The ‘behind the kitchen door’ 12 gauge shotgun is loaded with #4 buck for coyotes and raccoons. Second round is a slug for the traveling drug fiends..

6. g... says:

I have walked up on a sleeping coyote twice while deer hunting. I messed with them until they woke up. Both gave me the same “I can’t believe you just snuck up on me” look before running off. I guess that makes me a sneaky bastard . Never have shot one with a shotgun but have taken out a few with a 243 and a 7mm at 100 or so yards. We have sheep. Coyotes are not a go around here.