7 Benefits of Hunting Coyotes

What exactly are the benefits of coyote hunting? Here are seven, you choose which ones are most important.

In the last 20 years, the popularity of coyote hunting has risen, particularly east of the Mississippi, where populations have risen.
Though it is an unusual prey, there are at least seven good reasons to consider calling coyotes the next time you go out hunting.
When it comes down to it, coyotes are a manageable species if smart and ethical hunting practices play a role in that management.

This entry was posted in Coyotes, Hunting. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to 7 Benefits of Hunting Coyotes

1. arc says:

The article reads like a deer hunter’s ‘buhmuhdeer’ propaganda piece. If those people ever got their way, the only animals that would exist would be deer and non-deer eating animals.

In nearly 30 years of living in the Texas countryside, surrounded by packs of howling coyotes as close as 50 meters. I have yet to see any of my cats eaten and coyotes do not come into my yard. I even leave food outside for the cats. No coyotes.

Rabies is essentially non-existent due to air dropping of vaccine packets and pet vaxing. There are between 1 and 17 black plague cases per year in the entire USA, limited to western states. Any creature living outside is going to have some variety of parasite if it lives outside. I get deer ticks just from being outside in the grass, they are simply apart of living in the countryside.

If anything, I need MORE coyotes. Deer think they own the place and sleep in the fields and rabbits are crawling out of every patch of leaves and grass. A high end air rifle is still on my wish list for rabbits and flying pest. Coyotes are also scavengers and only hunt if they can’t find something already dead. They especially love deer carcass and will make one vanish over night.

• D S Craft says:

Yeah, and you’d be singing a different tune if you lived in southern California, too. When the coyotes around Escondido wanna go out to eat and have a good time, they head into town to raid peoples back yards, chicken coops, etc., and they go out every night. We’ve even got a LA style concrete drainage channel running right through town that they use as an expressway from the outskirts to get off where they want. I see them heading back home at 5 AM on a regular basis, looking for one last snack before they close out the night. Unfortunately, there’s no shortage of people here who think coyotes are cute and harmless and ‘hey, it’s their land, after all’. We have a fat coyote population around here. I think a little bit of management of that population might not be a bad idea. We don’t want them to be getting heart attacks.

You’d be singing a different tune if you ran sheep or cattle. They’ll rip a lamb or calf right out of the mother as she’s birthing. I’ve seen the after effects a few times.

• kansasredneck says:

Same here. Was treated a few months back to the sounds of a coyote pack getting a birthing cow and calf.

• Jeffery in Alabama says:

I have had them rip calves from their mother’s womb during calving. and have seen the aftermath of them gnawing a grown lame cow to death. I have called up quite a few while turkey hunting too (calling like a hen). Two years ago I killed one of the prettiest I’ve ever seen on Easter Morning. He was very “healthy”. I was working a gobbler when the yote appeared. He headed straight for my decoy. I blasted him in the face with #5’s at 32 steps. He ran “dead” for about sixty yards and fell motionless. Also, I live in the “woods” and one of my neighbors had four that mauled and killed his medium size dog in their backyard. When I was growing up in the seventies and eighties hunting everything including coons at night, we never heard or saw any coyotes. Now, the devils are everywhere.

We’ve got a few around my place too.
          Man, for 50 weeks out of the year, a coyote don’t think about nothing but food. I once called in a coyote using a jackrabbit call and when it came in to view, it already had a rabbit in its mouth.

• Butch says:

GOD invented the Coyote/Rabbit Ratio. And it works in places that are mostly wild. If God is going to provide a good year of grass and other greens the rabbit crop goes off the charts. And then God lets the coyote mamas know there will be plenty of rabbits for her litters to eat, so she will have more and bigger litters.

At that said, God’s plan and ratio gets all fucked up when people are involved, leaving garbage wherever and doing nothing to curb the coyote’s breeding cycles.

Sometimes I have to agree with some of those ecofreaks who say we need to cut back about a third of the worlds population. Almost all that third are no more than Squatmalans, Shit-holeians, and they do fuck up lots of God’s original planning.

I can still remember when the population of Texas was somewhere around 11 million, and ten million lived in DFW and Houston, and we had so much freedom down here in South Texas!!! There were days you could drive for 8 hours on highways and see maybe ten other moving traffic. Good ole 1950’s!!!

• Elmo says:

I can testify to that fact. It’s happened at our place before.
        Not a pretty picture.

• arc says:

Had goats for the longest time, they were fenced in, no problems. Fencing needs to be a legal requirement for livestock.

Shit, how tall a fence is going to be required? I’ve seen coyotes scale an 8 foot fence and not even slow them down. And coyote fencing may be just fine for 5 or 10 acres, but what about monster spreads like they have out west? It’s cost prohibitive to fence an 7500 acre spread like the Armstrong spread just outside of Oakdale CA – that’s damned near 12 square miles – and that’s just one ranch of many that size in the lower foothills. And what about ranchers that do their spring and summer grazing on BLM land?
          Besides, there’s too damned many regulations already.

• Elmo says:

“Fencing needs to be a legal requirement for livestock.”

That would be a sure way of driving every land owning cattle rancher west of the Rockies out of business.
          In other words, that sounds like an idea Alexandria Hugo-Chavez would come up with.

Not to mention, I doubt a fence could be built to keep coyotes out. Even if they couldn’t get over it they’d dig under it. They’d find a way.

• mbob says:

Your cats may not have been eaten but coyotes do at least try to eat cats.

• rayvet says:

You must have the metrosexual, liberal leaning coyotes living in your area because here in Georgia, where coyotes are relatively new (past 10-15 years), we’ve had entire feral cat populations in neighborhoods wiped out. Not that I’m a feral cat fan, but they’re doing it. More importantly, it was we hunters with our game cams that proved to our local forestry service that the coyotes, were in fact hunting and killing newborn fawns. They kept trying to tell us they didn’t hunt baby deer and so many people got it on video that now, they admit to it, and are talking about starting an eradication program of some type. But to say they pose no threat to local domestic or wild population is truly to not understand the coyote.

I don’t know why they would even attempt to say that coyotes don’t kill deer – not only fawns but yearlings too – when it’s been documented for years out west that they do. Not only that, but western coyotes are scrawny compared to what we’ve got here in Tennessee. If I shot a 40 pounder in California, it was a whopper, but I’ve seen coyotes out here that would run a solid 60 pounds and I consider myself to be a pretty good judge.

• soapweed says:

Arc: YOU are full of bs with your generalities…. Only scavengers, my ass. Your noticer seems to be non functional or non existent. Very common with you newbys with only 30 years in the sticks.
      Air rifle? Man up boy……grab on to your fuzzy gameechies and pull down.

• arc says:

4AM but I’ll bite.

.308 is the smallest rifle I own, thus why I want an air rifle for plinking smaller animals like squirrels and rabbits. Its the last rifle I need to complete the three I think are best.

Then I again, I could use the .50 or put tannerite charges all along the edge of the forest and explode some rabbits. I’m pretty sure someone on Esty or Deviant art would totally want to buy minced rabbit pelt. I bet my neighbors and their animals would love it too. Pelts are $6 per and I’m pretty much tripping over rabbits.

Its probably a hell of a hoot if I missed while shooting a rifle at the lamp posts and transformers on the farm (Pests get up there). Its also illegal to be shooting bullets into the air for obvious reasons. Shooting squirrels out of trees with a center or even rimfire rifle isn’t very smart either. Yes, I have a purpose specific need for an air rifle.

The only thing that has ever attacked anything out here is copperheads and bobcats. I stand by coyotes being scavengers. I have never seen any attacks nor never heard of any attacks from neighbors. They do a good job cleaning up any dead animals. Once something ripens up, its gone.

I’ve had more problems with the neighboring cows getting out over collapsed fences than any other animal. Since ranchers only speak in almighty dollars and not whats right or neighborly, the next time they get out, he can buy them back from auction or the sheriff gets a new cruiser. I’m betting on new cruiser since the owner doesn’t even live here and will never notice the two week astray notice. He checks up but once every six months and doesn’t do shit to fix the fences. No one knows who he is and he can never be found.

Some of the fencing is berried in sand and I can step over it without effort. Heres a picture.

Speaking of coyotes, I wish they would eat some of his damn cows but they don’t seem to have any interest. I know they run around on the same land because I listen to them every other night. They get picked up on my cousins game cam all the time which is on a different several hundred acres of cattle land. (They shoot deer and hogs.) Its interesting how there are no dead cows over there either. If coyotes ever did take a calf up there, EVERYONE would hear about it and I would never hear the end of it! It would be non-stop shooting, drinking, and explosions for at least a month.

My ‘noticer’ is perfectly fine. In all the years I’ve been out here, I know of only one instance where a bobcat killed a calf. And one instance of an outdoor dog being killed. Both were in the last two years with a bump in the bobcat population. Coyotes, still zero, and sometimes I hear upwards of three packs while walking my dog.

Short and totally irrelevant story: Some time around 15-20 years ago, my good neighbor that actually takes care of his animals and fences got a few new cows and a fairly expensive stud bull because they got chased up into his pens. They had no brands so he got a lot of money out of them. The value of just two of those cows (~$4,000) would have paid for a whole lot of fencing and probably would have prevented the greater loss in the long run.

• Butch says:

Coyotes will “clean-up” bad shots made by stupid hunters who shouldn’t be allowed to own guns. I have seen so many wounded deer that were shot at and almost missed by hunters, that later were brought down by coyotes and completely devoured, except for the bigger bones, and they were scattered over 20 to 40 FEET. We don’t do commie metrics in TEXAS.

I have instructed my close relatives to just take my dead body out aways into the brush and give me to the coyotes to scatter. I was made from Texas dirt, may as well go back to Texas dirt.

And don’t mention commie metrics.

2. Trib says:

Coyotes keep the land maintained. Kill the sick and lame. AS far as ranchers go they need to see the benefits rather than dollars. Ranchers bitch about rats but kill the snakes. Farmers bitch about rabbits, squirrels, but kill the coyotes and hawks. I rather shoot the wild dogs and hogs being they run ln packs and will destroy a whole chicken coop or garden in one night.

3. Mike_C says:

Shoot coyotes whenever you get the chance. Each one you take down means dozens, if not hundreds, fewer illegals.

Huh? What?
    Oh. Well, never mind.

• arc says:

I actually entertained shooting a coyote in the ankle once. The jackass thought he was immortal and wanted to step in front of everyone’s muzzles on a 400 series range out in California.

Although the variety of coyote you mention could use a few liberty injections.

4. Bad_Brad says:

Learn from the pros

5. brighteyes says:

Saw a film yesterday from Russia. Protecting the reindeer herd. Those wolves kill reindeer and don’t eat em. The just kill em for the hell of it. Old timers saying when they were kids there were no wolves. Now they are every where. Bad critter, they need to die. Yes, of course they kill some and eat them. So don’t go stupid on me. Point is many, hundreds, are being killed for the sake of killing something not survival.

• mbob says:

Those wolves have a home range. They cover that home range every three to six weeks. By the time they return to where they killed those reindeer, they may have not eaten for five days or more and there may not be a live reindeer for thirty miles or more. Kinda nice to a little something in the larder, that is if something else hasn’t eaten it. Carcasses don’t usually last long in the bush.

As for hundreds being killed for the sake of killing, I believe that’s called trophy hunting.

6. Winston Smith says:

I prefer not to hunt them. They keep the neighborhood yapyaps indoors. And that goddamn cat that likes to leave pawprints on my truck hood.
    I say GO Coyotes!

7. Elmo says:

I was right there with him until he got to #7.

8. Marach says:

New long gun on its way and looking at thermal optics. When they are 15 feet from the living room window and checking out the house, and running the fence line trying to lure the hounds out, time for some active deterrence

9. beefnguns says:

Down in San Diego county, where they grow a shitload load of avocados, the fuckin’ yotes pull them off of the trees. At around a buck apiece.

10. warhorse says:

one town over from me in MA they pushed a yearling buffalo into a muddy area and then killed it.

11. soapweed says:

Amazed at the dosage of city/neighborhood dandies with metro man tendencies voicing their mantra here. For the love of our maker, if you are going to live rural, then live rural. There ought to be an entrance exam for most folks migrating outen the city/suburban Babylon’s into the real world.

Play nice.