Low Capacity, High Efficiency

The trend in handguns has been toward increased capacity. Many revolver designs have even gained a cartridge or two. However, high capacity doesn’t always mean greater efficiency. A smaller grip than is possible with high capacity handguns may make for more comfortable shooting and less stress in trigger reach. There are jurisdictions that limit magazine capacity. While we do not agree with this law and find the restriction onerous and un-American, the law must be respected until we can change it. I am not going to be a test case, and if your head is screwed on correctly, you will not either.

It doesn’t work to download the magazine. The magazine must be a low capacity variant in these jurisdictions. I don’t think I use the word low capacity very often; a less derisive term is standard capacity. Let’s look at some of the most formidable handguns that just happen to be firearms with a capacity of nine rounds or less.

This entry was posted in Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Low Capacity, High Efficiency

1. Critter says:

Thanks a lot. Now I want a S&W model 69.

2. ChuckN says:

Of couree it’s all size and weight distribution. I mean it’s not like limited ammunition makes you more conscious of shot placement or anything.

Actually, for for any experienced shooter it does. When I know I’ve only got 7 rounds, I’m damned sure going to make sure I’ve got a solid target before I pull the trigger. It’s called fire discipline and that is not a new concept by any means.

• ChuckN says:

It was just a little snark. Though I do wonder what the military a brass a century ago, who swore that automatic weapons would lead to a catastrophic loss in marksmanship, would think of the article. My money’s on “Duh”.

3. Harry Steele says:

“the law must be respected until we can change it” BULLSHIT!!!!!!! if it infringes on that which “Shall not be infringed” it isnt a valid law, and it and those who wrote it can go to hell, I am NOT going to obey it….

• Andrew says:

Exactly. An illegal law is an illegal law and the only way to challenge it is up front and in person. Bending over and taking it in the ass is not the way to handle the situation.

Just look at all the fruits and hippies in Boulder that are pushing back against those laws. Or all the Northeasterners who are now insta-felons. All who are peacefully and willingly violating laws. You go, guys!

As right as he may be about the actual guns, Bob Campbell can suck moose balls for all I care.

• NewVegaBadger says:

With all due respect gentlemen, I have to come to Wirecutter’s defense. Given the political climate, any thing he writes can and WILL BE used against him. We are no longer a nation under the rule of law and “the law” is selectively enforced. That Hillary is not behind bars for her felonies proves my point. Wirecutter will be held to a higher standard since this is his blog. Now as we all ought to know there is a world of difference between the “official story” and the “real story”. Also, it does take some careful consideration as to what laws you are going to comply with, what laws you are going to bend, and what you are going to break/ ignore. There is too the matter of unintended consequences. So yeah, officially follow the law, but lay awake at night thinking about how to make their laws bite them in the ass.

I am amused by liberals getting their collective panties in a bunch over those scary looking, black, and menacing AR platform rifles with their “high capacity” (aka standard issue) magazines when THE rifle platform with the highest recorded body count is the bolt action, 5 round magazine, now obsolete Mosin Nagant 91/30.

• Andrew says:

The Garbage Rod isn’t safe either. It is a ‘military pattern’ rifle, which they will come after.

I guess you could sporterize one with an old school Monte Carlo stock to make it less military, but if you think their goal isn’t your garbage rod, your family’s Springfield Trapdoor, or that old Kentucky flintlock, well, go back to smoking some really good dope.

We (the firearm community) fucked up in 1934. In 1968, and every other time gun control comes around. We (the firearm community) stick our friggin heads in the sand and the beautiful strains of “Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala” are heard from our mouths.

Fuck this fucking shit. Take me to jail, bitches. Take a disabled guy who is the sole support of an extremely disabled gal to jail over a friggin 10 round mag, or more than 50 rounds stored in the closet, or a gun not locked away in a gun closet. Fuck it. Tired of this shit. I’ll be the fucking poster boy for the first case if it comes to it. Let the state try to do all I do for my lady. Try, please, bitches.

• crazyeighter says:

The MN 91/30 (and variants), along with the ’03 Sprungfield are next. (They’ll be called “deadly sniper rifles” first.)

That gives me some fighttin’ room for when they start targeting my Garand and M-1 Carbine.

• NewVegasBadger says:

Andrew and crazyeighter, I do concur with you and would add that it is already happening; any rifle with a scope mounted on it is being labeled and demonized as a “sniper rifle”. At least many of the advocates for gun control have finally admitted as to what their real goal is: total firearm confiscation. From the general public. The will exempt themselves from it since they deem themselves to be our betters, hence exempt. Case in point that shit weasel in Chicago who while promoting gun buy back programs was busted with having 20 plus guns.

As I see it Liberals are in the process of over reaching. They want to provoke a civil war. But they are provoking us normies and Deplorables who are waiting for an excuse to use violence. I want revenge! I’ve got some scores to settle. It is too late to work within the system and too early to start shooting the bastards. When is it that time? I don’t know.

• Harry Steele says:

First item, Wirecutter didnt write the article, get a clue…. Second, UNTIL all these “laws” are ignored by people with balls enough to stand up for the REAL RULE OF LAW (Constitution) we dont have a chance of changing any of them… People like yourself are NOT HELPING, compromisers and apologists like you are in fact helping the wrong side….

• soapweed says:

Generally like reading Bob Cambell in Gun Tests, however there are no laws that deserve to be “respected” just because they are man’s laws. Quit sucking up to the convenience store thugs, Bob.

4. C.R. says:

My dumb question of the day , can a high cap magazine be modified to be within the law in a way that is revercible ? Kind of like putting a duck plug in a shotgun ? could a person put a dowel or something in under the follower to limit the capacity that was removable and not damaging to the hardware ?

Somewhere deep in California law it states that modification must be permanent. I bought some 30 round mags when I built my first AR, but they wouldn’t let me take them out of the shop until they placed a rivet in them to prevent loading of more than 10 rounds.
      I would imagine it’s like that in every state that outlaws standard capacity magazines.

• Veeshir says:

I’m not sure what the deal is now, but when cops told legislators that NY’s SAFE Act requirement was impossible, like a Ruger 10/22 did not have a 7 round mag, they said you couldn’t put more than 7 rounds in your mag unless you were at a range.
        It’s funny how often ‘common sense’ gun laws are utterly stupid.

• C.R. says:

So were you able to drill the rivets out when you moved out of the worlds biggest insane asylum , and have them work like normal ?

Naw, I left both of the damned things and my California Bullet Button sitting on the nightstand at the Motel 6 in Williams Arizona.

• FaCubeItches says:

A lot of magazines (in California at least) are simply regular mags with a dimpling that limits their capacity to 10 rounds. Pretty sure that a competent metal worker with a drill could make then full-size magazines in a matter of seconds. Just don’t get caught with them.

If I remember right, that was what the Thousand Oaks shooter did, and it was noted in all the reports that he had illegally modified them.

5. FaCubeItches says:

“While we do not agree with this law and find the restriction onerous and un-American, the law must be respected until we can change it. I am not going to be a test case, and if your head is screwed on correctly, you will not either.”

While I do not agree with this law and find it onerous and un-Dutch, Herr Frank, the law must be respected until we can change it.
    – Officer Karl Josef Silberbauer

And that is why the collectivists continue to advance. Pretty far cry from pledging lives, fortunes, and sacred honor.

• Andrew says:

Yup. Basically, “Bend over, I’m only sticking my pinky finger in your anus this time.

Next day, “Bend over, here’s my ring finger…”

Extrapolate to getting schtupped in the ass by a geek in a gimp mask.

That’s what Ben Campbell is saying.

6. RTinWeimar says: