Yeah well, military budget cuts and all that…

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Leaking pipes. Moldering walls. Condemned offices and balconies. Plumbing that can’t handle its load and a stormwater system dumping unfiltered rainwater into the Severn River.

These aren’t the issues of a long-abandoned factory. They describe the current condition of the Naval Academy.

Infrastructure at the naval institution in Annapolis has degraded to the point of threatening the school’s ability to train and educate midshipmen, according to a report by the Naval Audit Service. The 2018 audit, obtained by The Capital Gazette through a Freedom of Information Act request, details failing buildings, classrooms and athletic facilities — which in some cases actively leak, overheat and threaten user safety.
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in WiscoDave, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Yeah well, military budget cuts and all that…

1. Andrew says:

Put the cadets on it during the summer. Give them something to do.

2. Steve says:

Wouldn’t expect anything less after 8 years of communism…

3. LoL No says:

“unfiltered rainwater”?…. I wish I could say that’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever read but, that’s not even the dumbest shit I’ve read, today.

• singlestack says:

The reason so many public, and private facilities include small ponds in their landscaping isn’t aesthetics. though they are presented and often used that way. They are retention ponds that filter rainwater by allowing fertilizer, grime from parking lots, etc to settle out or be degraded by sunlight or consumed biologically before runoff is released into the local storm drainage system.

4. crazyeighter says:

And it’s pretty ironic when you think that’s where Shitstain McCain is buried.

5. Tom from East Tennessee says:

As a former non-Academy USN officer, I think the biggest problems there are upstairs, not the physical plant. 30 or 40 years ago it was still producing the product you’d think a service academy would, last 15 years or so I’m pretty dubious.

6. Bobo the Hobo says:

Dollars to doughnuts West Point shares many scenarios with USN Naval Academy. This is a disgrace.

7. warhorse says:

every officer I ever met who was from the naval academy was a useless POS. how did I know they were naval academy? it’s like being vegan…they tell you.

8. singlestack says:

I’m a construction superintendent for a mechanical contractor. I install plumbing and HVAC systems in large facilities, both public and private.
    I tear out and replace a lot of badly deteriorated and expensive equipment that if the manufacturers maintenance recommendations were followed would have remained serviceable years longer.
    This problem is much worse in public facilities than in private ones.
    Politicians love to gouge their constituents to fund big, expensive projects that are monuments to the politicians’ overinflated egos but the funding rarely includes money for preventative maintenance, and if it does it’s used to keep the surface looking pretty while the inside rots from neglect.
    Equipment is often allowed to run, untouched, until it either breaks down or starts causing problems that are visible to the users, such as black mold, water damage, or bad smells. Then it becomes a crisis that has to be fixed quickly, at many times the cost of regular maintenance. Often by that time entropy has reached the point where it can’t be fixed and even more expensive renovations are required.

9. cap'n fast says:

did a bit of time as a usaf facility manager I observe that often this is a technique used to get funding for NEW construction rather than repair of older facilities. stating that the older structures are economically beyond repair and that the mission requires a new structure. works all the time.