An Army of Snowflakes

The U.S. Army will soon launch a redesign of Basic Combat Training intended to build more discipline after many commanders complained that new soldiers often show up to their first units with a sloppy appearance and undisciplined attitudes.

By early summer, new recruits will go through Army BCT that’s designed to instill strict discipline and esprit de corps by placing a new emphasis in drill and ceremony, inspections, pride in military history while increasing the focus on critical training such as physical fitness, marksmanship, communications, and battlefield first aid skills.
-RDM73

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to An Army of Snowflakes

1. Ogrrre says:

Will the washouts get a participation trophy so their feelings won’t be hurt and their self-esteem be damaged?

2. Tsgt Joe says:

It will be interesting, though I have serious doubts that several weeks of training will inculcate any long lasting changes in a world view of entitlement.

3. The Jannie says:

A friend who was a high-ranking officer in military training here in the UK told me that he was fed up of having to “make allowances” and lower standards to suit the latest politically correct and politically imposed fad.

• ChuckN says:

How is the ‘recruit a snowflake’ campaign going over there? Other than the amazing recruiting posters I haven’t heard much.

4. Cynikal says:

Awww, little Billy gonna get is army costume

5. CC says:

Remedial boot camp?
    Oh, FFS…

6. nonncom says:

“Of course there’ll still be lowered standards for female recruits”….

• arc says:

This…

“Mhmm, I’ll bring it tomorrow.” A blonde chick at CMCC telling staff NCO about how she forgot her sling. Fortunately, us men (grunts) brought extras.

If I said that same thing, I would probably be assaulted, page 11, and put on shit duty for the rest of the course. A woman? Some stern words and that is all. Women get special treatment in the military for the sake of inclusiveness and diversity. Said chick probably wasn’t more than 120lbs.

7. Erica says:

My cousin just finished Basic and graduates his AIT the day after tomorrow. He is at the top of his class and has ranked up twice so far, He told me point blank that its stupid easy if you keep your head down and do what you’re told. He said he doesn’t really feel extra proud about because 90% of his platoon are idiots, I think the term he used was “f#cktards”. he said his (AIT) platoon has had several passes revoked due to inability to follow simple orders and soldiers being late / tardy for roll calls. they lost a long weekend pass because they were told to load a bus from back to front and couldn’t handle the task,

8. Nemo says:

When I left home to enlist in the Navy in ’64, my Dad told me to “keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. You just might learn something.” Served me well during my hitch.

9. Padawan says:

Dear Ma and Pa:

I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m. But I am getting so I like to sleep late. Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there’s warm water. Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again. It’s no wonder these city boys can’t walk much.

We go on “route marches,” which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it’s not my place to tell him different. A route march is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The Sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and Colonels just ride around and frown. They don’t bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughter. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don’t know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don’t move, and it ain’t shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don’t even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain’t like fighting with that ol’ bull at home. I’m about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake . I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I’m only 5’6″ and 130 pounds and he’s 6’8″ and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,

Alice

10. hbbill says:

How about this. At any stage of your training you do not pass a test with at least the equivalent of a C+ or better grade you either stay in that cycle until you do or you quit…..you get three tries.

If after you report to your first command, your commanding officer, based on reports from his senior NCOs and his own personal review feels that you are not ‘cutting it’, you get to take Basic over again or can quit…..again three tries and you’re out if you fail.

Those that REALLY want it will try harder. There is however this to consider,

“ Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn’t even be there,
    Eighty are nothing but targets,
    Nine are real fighters…
    We are lucky to have them…They make the battle,
    Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior…
    and He will bring the others back.”

Heraclitus

• frtiz says:

It used to be that you had to pass 100% when I was in “C” and “A” school. I’d rather have a smaller army without the morons.

• Djamer says:

That has been the root cause. Upping Army rank and file numbers to fill directed quotas that they still cannot meet, all at the cost of quality, well disciplined, unENTITLED soldiers.

• Djamer says:

And the new hire civliians are much, much worse. I spend a portion of my days, ever day, switching the damn televisions from CNN back to FoxNews. I am surrounded by young, socialist Army civilians wearing beanie hats and droopy damn draws! Just to work robotics, leader/follower, drones, etc. .

• Drew in Michigan says:

Basic in 83 ft McClellan AL. MIlitary Police Co. E-11. We had a go, no-go with only one retry if you failed that second time (they had a knack to know the ones that wanted to stay but couldn’t get something) your on your way home, started with somewhere around 40 or so basic’s & graduated with 28 or 30.
      DI told everyone on the first day if any of us pussies wanted to go home just fail twice and he would make it happen, true to his word he sent a bunch down that walk of shame in front of the whole Company cursing them the way.

• MT says:

Brilliant. Just goes to show truth is eternal.
      Can make a case for this in civilian life as well. For example, consider the workplace. We’ve all worked with folks who fit those percentiles. Heraclitus described what I would call human nature, pure and simple.

11. DanB says:

Make all Army recruits do 8 weeks of Marine Boot Camp before entering the Army. May not by as rugged as what I remember back in ’67, more physical they say, but still has to be a head start in the discipline and appearance. Or have the Marines lost it also?