I wish they’d migrate this way

GOLDEN POND, Ky. (AP) — An increase in the number of wild hogs at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area on the Kentucky-Tennessee border has officials considering options to get rid of the animals, including aerial gunning.

Land Between the Lakes spokesman Chris Joyner told The Paducah Sun that the recreation area’s management was advised late last year that it needed a more intensive strategy than trapping the animals. He said crews trapped 70 hogs in 2018 and 26 in one week this year.

This entry was posted in Bacon, Fish and Game, Tennessee. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to I wish they’d migrate this way

1. anonymous says:

Pretty destructive, their eating habits. Their rooting around causes problems. I remember reading that removing tree stumps can be done by digging around the trunk, and pouring corn into the holes, resulting in hogs tearing out earth to get at it.

Smart animals, moreso than deer I think. Not many natural enemies other than Man.

2. Towser says:

Ken, I know what you mean but it might be wise to be careful what we wish for. As much as I’d like to hunt hogs, my understanding is they are very destructive. Hopefully one of your readers can enlighten us (or me anyway) on the realities of a hog invasion.

Oh, I’m well aware of it, trust me. California’s overrun with them.
      I just want something I can shoot off my back porch. Groundhogs have gotten pretty sparse, especially with the cool weather.

3. Tuner says:

We’ve got them in Clay County. Take all you want.

I have yet to see any sign or even hear of any here in Macon County. Send a few my way, will you? I’ve never hunted pig but have always wanted to.

4. Laura says:

If you like hunting hogs, you really need to come to Australia. Last I heard there was an estimated 30,000 wild pigs – big suckers – in just the Starke River National Park (halfway up Cape York).

5. rdb says:

Where can one sign up for aerial gunning?

6. Putz says:

That’s what I was thinking RDB. Picturing M134 mini gun on the side of a chopper. That would decrease population of the hogs…well mostly the hogs.

Play nice.