Policing for profit

RIDGETOP TENNESSEE: (Smokey Barn News) – Recently the city of Ridgetop found itself in the news after the city’s current Police Chief Bryan Morris alleged that his department has ticket quotas assigned by the city’s Vice Mayor.

Morris told Smokey Barn News that Vice Mayor McCaw Johnson told him that his department needed to issue 210 tickets a month to meet budgetary needs. (Full story) Morris said that he told Johnson “That’s against the law.” The encounter with Johnson was recorded and subsequently released to the press but are ticket quotas really against the law in Tennessee, the short of it is, no.

This entry was posted in Tennessee, To Protect and Serve. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Policing for profit

1. frank says:

Policing was to protect the public now it is more for revenue generation!

2. Rob says:

I’d guess he’s not a peace officer if his job is writing tickets. That seems to be a political decision by that town..

3. Daryl says:

They need to follow McCaw Johnson every place he goes and find a reason to ticket him until they meet their quota for the month.

4. Guairdean says:

Many cities have converted their Peace Officers to Revenooers over the years. In areas where quotas are illegal, they simply refer to “performance measures” that count the number of tickets written. There are no official penalties for failing to write enough tickets, but guess who gets the promotions, better shifts, and priority when leave is requested.

5. Burt says:

Kansas is one of the states where the district attorneys are allowed by state statue to shake down traffic offenders: upon conviction they will offer-for about 50% more money-to NOT report your conviction to the database the insurance industry uses when setting your premium. My last speeding ticket there (21mph over) cost $195; I did not pay the bribe.

Assholes. All of ’em.

6. Tennessee Budd says:

Everybody in my area knows to avoid Ridgetop. I grew up there & never go. Piss on ’em.

Millersville is real bad too. Actually Portland is pretty bad – every time I go there I can count on seeing at least a couple people pulled over there.

7. Richard Watson says:

Ticket quotas are nothing new. My Dad was on the Chicago PD from 1948 until 1978. He was expected to write at least eight moving violations per shift. Also had three wheel motorcycles for parking enforcement. One hundred tickets per shift.

Play nice.