“Respect my authoritah!”

Samuel J. LaVigne’s lawsuit against the California Highway Patrol officer who pulled him over in December 2017 doesn’t claim there was no reason for the stop.

After taking breath-alcohol tests at the CHP’s Newcastle office, LaVigne expected the results to show he was “significantly above the legal limit,” according to the suit filed last week in federal court in Sacramento.

What LaVigne is suing over is his claim that he was choked for no reason – twice – by the arresting officer, one time in full view of at least three other CHP officers who made no move to intervene, according to the excessive force and battery suit filed by Sacramento attorney Stewart Katz.

*****

Every interaction I’ve ever had with the CHP, I was treated pretty damned well. No problems. no bullying, nothing. Not only that but I’ve never talked to anybody that wasn’t treated the same.

This entry was posted in California, Drunks, To Protect and Serve. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to “Respect my authoritah!”

1. nonncom says:

The fact the officer is no longer with the CHP gives some pretty good circumstantial evidence that Johnson was some kind of nut….I hope the guy sues their ass off and wins….if nothing else, somebody at CHP knew about this guy and never did anything about it….their are sadists everywhere out there, especially in the land of the fruits and nuts….

2. Elmo says:

I’ve only dealt with 3 CHP that were outright pricks. That would put my ballpark anecdotal study results at a 6% ratio. A half a dozen (12%) were really good guys. Your results may vary, as I dealt mainly with commercial men (the guys in the pickups).

I once got inspected by a guy who wrote me a fix-it ticket for something piddly. When he handed me the citation, I couldn’t read his name so I asked him what it was. He replied “Most people call me that red headed prick” and laughed. He told me after I got my problem fixed to flag him down and he’d give me my inspection sticker. Two days later we got that done.

He later told one of the guys I was hauling with that I was the nicest truck driver he’d ever met. Worked for me.

3. flighterdoc says:

Not only have they been professional, they have been helpful: I lost a briefcase out of the back of my truck in Cajon Pass, the luggage tag still had my address from Germany (more than 10 years earlier), they tracked me down and told me where to find it..

4. Cederq says:

Same here Kenny, all my interactions with police stops never resulted in violence. I treated them with respect and was cooperative to a limit, meaning I did not consent to searches and told them only what I was required by law to say. I didn’t say a word otherwise. And.. did not answer leading questions, just stared and KEPT MY MOUTH SHUT.

5. Brian Bell says:

Bruthas gonna get PAID!!!!!

6. Steve_in_CA says:

I echo your sentiments. All the CHP I have interacted with were extremely professional.

7. Bad_Brad says:

I think things have drastically changed in the last 5 or 10 years. Not the agency they once were. All my cop buddies are no fan of the CHP. My last interaction with the CHP was a fix it ticket for an expired registration. About the time my registration was do I got a check engine light on my Duramax. It just so happened that year I needed so supply a smog cert. And they won’t smog it if you have an idiot light lit up. I had already had the repairs made (Glow Plug), but you need to drive the damn thing 200 miles before the check engine light resets. So he wrote me a fix it ticket. I get it, no big deal. Until he saw me the following week and wrote me another. Even after I’d shown him the first one.
    I had a Sheriffs buddy sign them both off. He was in total disbelief that the guy wrote me two tickets.

8. crazyeighter says:

CHP went on my Permanent Shit List when a group of them (four or five) took down that old lady Post-Katrina because she had an old break-top Iver Johnson in her home.

9. pigpen51 says:

I live in Michigan, and have found that most State Patrol cops here are pretty decent. They are to a man, it seems, sticklers to the law, but not unfair about writing tickets. They will let a minor infraction go, if it seems like you were not trying to prove some kind of point or something. Like a burned out tail light. A State cop will usually just tell you to get it fixed while a local town clown will write it up most every time.
    I do know that the training that State Cops go through is much more difficult than that of the other kind of cops here. I went through 1 week of it between my junior and senior year of high school, paid for by our local American Legion. It was fantastic, not only did I get in shape for the fall football season, but I learned a lot about police work. And I learned that a spare tire from your trunk will hold up however many people can get their hand on it in the water.

10. Fred Horn says:

All law enforcement people are simply power hungry arrogant pricks. CHP are worthless sacks of shit.

11. Dan says:

Saw a lot of cops in ER’s when I worked in Kali…..seemed the CHP were always the most professional of the bunch. That doesn’t mean a nutjob can’t slip through the hiring process and
    end up on the highway persecuting the populace. But from what I saw they did have some pretty good standards.