Seeing Racism Everywhere

The New York Times isn’t the only outlet claiming white people with soot on their faces are actually portraying “blackface.” For the Times, it was Mary Poppins and the chimney sweepers.

For an opinion writer for the Arizona Central, part of USA Today, it was a photo of blue-collar workers having a drink after work.

Opinion contributor Rashaad Thomas says he was in Phoenix recently at a holiday party. The restaurant he was in had photographs on the wall, as many do, but one in particular stood out to him. This photo showed a group of seven or so coal miners, covered head to toe in soot, their faces blackened to varying degrees, drinking beer at a pub. The photo also shows one man who doesn’t appear to be covered in soot and an unhappy woman.

Thomas’ friends told him, “It’s coal miners at a pub after work.” He “asked a Latinx and white woman for their opinion.” The two said the photo appeared to be of coal workers having a drink after work.

This didn’t sit well with Thomas, who asked to speak to a manager.
-WiscoDave

*****

In case you’re wondering, Latinx (4th paragraph) is a gender neutral term for a person of Latino heritage. Yes, I had to google it.

This entry was posted in Liberals, Race, Snowflakes, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Seeing Racism Everywhere

1. Sedition says:

Fuck ’em.

2. SgtBob says:

So a white baseball player who puts a black streak under each eye to cut glare from the sun ,,, Oh. It’s not reality that counts? Okay.

3. Jeffery in Alabama says:

Pitiful, just pitiful.

4. Oldav8r says:

“Who determines what’s offensive?” Not you douchebag.

5. Larry says:

So a gender neutral term for a white person is Anglx, for a black person negrx, and for an Asian person chinx?

6. James says:

God help us all.

7. JNorth says:

Latinx is also not Spanish, you will only hear dumb ass SJWs use that term.

8. Gordon says:

We can’t call them wetbacks anymore?

• singlestack says:

We just call them beaners.

• Heathen says:

Ya really want to upset them, call them “Mestizo” or “Indio” .
        A majority of the “caravaners” fit that description.

• rick says:

A friend who is Spanish – from Spain – calls them Mexican. I have watched how it burns them so much when he does that. Then he zeros in for the kill, he tells them to stop speaking his language. Those beaners nearly burst into flames. Every time.

Then they try to throw their shit onto me because I’m white. I simply say no matter what you say, no matter what you do, you’ll never be white. Their incineration is complete.

My buddy Woody always used to ask the Mexicans at work if they’re such a proud and superior race, why do they speak the language of their conquerors?
            Gets ’em every time.

• Mike_C says:

A dear friend of mine from Spain has a similar attitude. We trained together way back when, and occasionally she’d get snagged to do a quick translation for a Spanish-only patient. Always interesting to watch her (an athletic, long-legged 5’9″ and 135 lbs of flashing dark eyes, fair complexion, narrow nose) speaking in Castilian Spanish to a squatty dark broad-nosed person who speaks some version of Spanish that even I can tell is corrupted and rudimentary. Friend is always exquisitely polite and professional to all patients, but you can see about a third of such squatty patients just resenting the hell out of her for her appearance and dialect. (Admittedly the other 2/3 are generally very happy to get to talk to a Spanish-speaking doctor who is also obviously hypercompetent.)

Burns my friend’s ass when she gets labeled as “Latina” or “Hispanic”. And she’s not shy about correcting people on it: I am European. A white European! I am not one of those people!

• crazyeighter says:

In 1980, I transferred from Rota Spain to Moffett Field, CA. I learned there were differences between Castilian Spanish and “American” Spanish. Example: Castilian Spanish word for “car” was “coche”. “American” Spanish, the word was “Chebby”.

• MT says:

Yes, Gordon, as long as you spell it “wetbax”.

9. Steven says:

I’m confused, is this fella pointing out white male privilege? Or does he think ……oh my gawd…..I can’t even think of any snarky reply to swat down this idiot!?!?!

10. Michael Schlechter says:

The leadership of the ranks of the professionally offended.

11. Bill The Bunyip says:

Offense can never be given. It can only be taken and this creature is a professional in the taking dept.

12. TC says:

Talk about whiteness…

13. hollychism says:

Further proof that these morons have never played in the dirt, or gotten dirty, in their entire damn lives.

14. Grog says:

The video sums it up, that some people in this country are so blinded by false hate that they want a fight, and they are using emotion and image to influence people who choose to not think, just react, to be the front line in the upcoming ruckus, which will affect everyone.

No one knows when this will kick off, and it won’t be pleasant.

15. CC says:

Poor little Thomas; so overwhelmed by the overt racism of a photo of coal miners he’s unable to heist his sorry ass out the door to somewhere that might be condescending enough to provide him with a safe space.
    Hint – the name “Rash-odd”

16. Bob says:

So Grady made it with Julio Fuentes’s sister and had someone named Thomas.