60 Years of the Ruger Blackhawk

In 1949 Bill Ruger introduced his first firearm, the Standard Model .22 semi-automatic. It became an instant success and he soon offered Target Model versions with adjustable sights. Ruger followed this ongoing success with his first sixgun, the .22 Single-Six in 1953. Both of these .22s have been excellent sellers since their introduction so many years ago; they have both been proven to be accurate and totally dependable. Now it was time for Ruger to really reach out. The .22 Single-Six had been fashioned after the long gone Colt Single Action Army, however Ruger decided it was time to go centerfire. Practically speaking, if not spiritually so, Ruger was ready to bring out a centerfire single action sixgun which would prove to a better choice for most shooters than the old Colt. Ruger was about to have his third major success.
-Elmo

This entry was posted in Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 60 Years of the Ruger Blackhawk

1. Roger says:

I don’t know of any shooters that have not owned at some time a Ruger firearm. At this time, I have none, but in the past, I counted two .45 long Colt, Bisley revolvers, one Single six revolver, one 77/22 bolt rifle, one, Mk semi auto pistol and two 10/22 rifles, one heavily modified. All were good guns.

• =TW= says:

Single Six convertible (1969), 10-22 (1984), MK II Std (1984), Mk II Gov’t (1987), Mini 30 (1996.)
      3-screw Blackhawk .357 (someday…)

2. anonymous says:

A lot of Ruger gun lore and great photos of a great handgun. Thank you for a link to it.

3. Stretch says:

I’ve a Single-Six and New Vaquero. Love me some single actions. All those TV westerns as a child I guess.

4. Keith Dorset says:

Excellent article. Not long ago bought my first centerfire large revolver, a 6 1/2″, 3 screw .357mag.
    It’s in great shape. What a beautiful pistol. I’m not even bothered I have to do the cowboy loading routine.

5. RHT447 says:

Now that we live in Texas, my wife has decided she wants a CCW (CHL) license. Point Blank just opened a new range about 10 minutes away. We went there yesterday and I started her off with my Ruger Bearcat. Next trip will be my Singel-Six (three screw) with both cylinders, 22LR and 22mag.

My big bore is 45 Colt, 5 1/2 barrel U. S. Arms Abilene, similar to this one–

6. Critter says:

I own several Ruger single actions, the most recent example is a Super Blackhawk I found in a nasty little pawn shop. It’s an American Liberty gun from ’76 and it’s beautiful. The pawn guy said it had been in the case for a while because no one wanted it. I haggled mercilessly and left with it for three bills.

• Elmo says:

Steal of the Century. Congrats.
      I’ve got a soft spot for Liberty model Rugers. I have several Liberty rifles but no Blackhawks.

7. I have a original standard automatic. I love that gun. I also have a 4″ Security Six and a 5″ Redhawk in 44 mag. I have never owned a single action Ruger. I have always had a love for the Security Sixes since I bought my first on on 1976. Maybe it’s time to look for a older super Blackhawk 44.

When you do, pick up a set of Power Custom springs over at Brownell’s for a cheap trigger job. You’ll need it. I love Rugers, don’t care for their triggers.

Play nice.