As long as his son went home safely that night…

Killeen, TX — Disturbing video of a murder in Killeen, Texas was published in 2017 by the Free Thought Project of a man being murdered in broad daylight. The Free Thought Project reported on this video to help seek justice for Curtis E. Shelley after police refused to arrest his killer. Now, after a year of inaction, we learned that the killer—who is the son of a Killeen police officer—will have no charges filed against him.

The Bell County Grand Jury met Wednesday and no charges were returned in the killing of Shelley. Naturally, the Shelley family was devastated and were quick to claim that the suspect got away with murder because he’s the son of a cop.
MORE/VIDEO

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to As long as his son went home safely that night…

1. CC says:

My cop acquaintance from Ventura, CA once said, “Cop’s kids are scumbags.”
    Right from the horses mouth.
    If that was my family member, I’d be arranging some street justice.

2. singlestack says:

That was cold blooded murder.

3. livin to ride says:

does it really surprise you that a cops son got away with murder ?
    i remember a cop who’s sons got away with all kinds of shit . the oldest got busted for dealing drugs numerous times and daddy would claim he was working undercover for him. which wouldn’t have worked because everyone in the areas he got busted in knew he was a cops son . the youngest got away with same the same way a few times also got away with breaking into the same places numerous times until someone finally had enough and gave him a choice of going to jail or joining the military . which was a joke because he never finished basic because they booted him after 5-6 months for shitting and pissing the bed-and didn’t get the jail time he was to get if he didn’t finish his time there..
    so yeah shiny badges get special rights.

4. rayvet says:

I’m thinking two tweekers airing their grievances out in public.

5. WoodBurner says:

A clear cut case of stupidity.

6. rdb says:

Rayvet is probably right on this one.

The deceased is a moron. If a guy is holding a gun on you, why do you keep approaching him and yelling at him? Escape and then get his a$$ later.

The shooter didn’t try to avoid the conflict after drawing his gun. In my state, that would get you arrested, especially when there doesn’t appear that his life was in imminent danger if the deceased was unarmed.

• M. Sage says:

No duty to retreat in Texas (the way it needs to be – your state sucks).

How did the confrontation begin? We’re coming in at the middle toward the end.

7. Alan says:

We don’t know what was being said by either party. If someone was pointing a gun at me I wouldn’t continue advancing on them. Just from the video with no sound I would say it was a justified shooting. The guy in the white shirt could have walked away instead of advancing in a threatening manner.

• AK49 says:

Seems the consistent theme in MOST of the shooting vids I see (usually with a cop involved) is the person shot continues to move towards the armed person. Maybe it is my cowardly survival instincts but if someone is pointing a gun at me the last thing I will be doing is walking right at them and screaming. Not to say this guy is justified in the shooting, nor do I have a love of cops (dad is a 33yr retired troopers, I hammer him on bad shoots every chance I get), but advancing in the line of fire is not a good survival tactic.

An unarmed guy acting in a threatening manner towards somebody that armed and thirty feet away doesn’t justify shit. Why didn’t the guy with the gun just walk away?

• WoodBurner says:

Look again WC.

The guy with the firearm was backing up more than the unarmed guy through out the video.

There was no winner here, all lost, some more than others.

Please see my original post.

• FaCubeItches says:

Because he ain’t no punk-ass little bitch and had to show the world how hard he is. eyeroll

8. M. Sage says:

Too much unknown.

Random thought first – I’m an advocate of being a little slow to go to the gun if anything, because if you draw it and that doesn’t resolve the situation, you’re probably going to have to shoot someone because letting them take your gun away is unacceptable.

Big question is, how did this confrontation start? What was it about? Did one of the men live in that area? Both of them? (Doubtful, looking at the neighborhood as the deceased worked at Sonic.)

A few facts:

Big one is that “unarmed” doesn’t mean shit. Can the person in front of you inflict, RIGHT NOW, serious bodily injury and do they intend to do so? Doesn’t matter if it’s with a gun, a knife, a car, or hands and feet. If they can carry it out, you can shoot them.

Second, all homicides in Texas go in front of a grand jury. “Not charged” means that a grand jury no-billed him.

Third, Texas has some very permissive self-defense laws, and some very understanding grand juries. This guy got no-billed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbT1NHOMPt8 This guy got no-billed: https://abcnews.go.com/US/charges-texas-father-beat-death-daughters-molester/story?id=16612071 This guy didn’t actually witness the break-in, but found the thief walking out through the broken-in door and shot him a few times from the comfort of his truck; no grand jury because he didn’t manage to kill the tweaker: https://www.ksat.com/news/schertz-car-wash-owner-shoots-man-after-witnessing-him-break-into-business

I could go on.

Fourth, as is fairly common when it involves a cop or a cop’s family here, Texas Rangers investigated: https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Person-involved-in-deadly-local-shooting-related-to-police-employee-458305523.html One of the main missions of the Rangers is to fight local police and political corruption.

Sorry, not enough details to call it murder, and more than a few things that, to me, suggest this might be on the up and up.