“I don’t need a gun – you do”

A couple years ago I was working security at a bar in northern Virginia. I overheard a table of college kids arguing about gun rights and gun control and it was getting far too emotional so I did what any sane combat veteran would do and attempted to exfiltrate. I must not have withdrawn as surreptitiously as I intended, because I was stopped in my tracks when a 5-foot-nothing brunette seemingly leapt in front of me and blurted out “excuse me, can you help us?”

I’m sure I must have looked irritated as I cycled through the possible quips and excuses I considered available to me but being uncertain that she wasn’t some Senator’s daughter, I caved: “What’s up?”
-H

This entry was posted in Guns, Snowflakes. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to “I don’t need a gun – you do”

1. Cavguy says:

I like the argument direction. Thanks for the post Ken.

2. DCE says:

The guy has a point and uses an excellent illustration why he didn’t need a gun, but that someone else did. I have a feeling that too many anti-gunners only ponder half the equation.

“If I wanted to, I could wrap my hand around that beer mug and kill all four of you before you could make it to the exit. The worst part is, in your utopian little fantasyland, there ain’t a thing any of you could do about it.”

“I don’t need a gun. You need a gun.”

“You need a gun because of men like me.”

3. enn ess says:

Good reply is always “because you or someone close by may at some point in time need me to have one for any of a number of reasons” And topping that would be: “Because you’re not qualified to carry one, you haven’t got the skills, the judgement, the sense of responsibility or the courage for it”. Anything anyone uses to assault someone with is an assault weapon whether it’s a spoon or a newspaper….. and all manner of item in between …… consequently all items known to man must be banned, even words…… As the progtards are so fond of reminding everyone.

4. Jeremy says:

Good way to make the point. I’d have ended it a little different.

5. Excellent. I would have loved to have been able to watch the girls face as he talked like that.

Another point I thought of after reading that exchange, say the lib girl admitted that at certain times and in certain situations she might need a gun. Well, honey. The gun you need doesn’t materialize out of thin air when you say the magic words. Along with the knowledge of how to use it.
    And if you have already voted for a politician who promised to ban all guns and cheered and clapped as they carried out that promise, then magic words, whistling, pleading or waving your hands isn’t going to help. No Guns. And what was gonna happen to you is whats gonna happen to you.

6. Michael says:

Always better to make ’em think and just walk away, than to argue with them.

7. Paul B says:

Try dat. Put it like that and the light will dawn

8. NewVegasBadger says:

My reply to the why do you need a gun:
    And who the hell do you think you are, you worthless shit weasel to tell me what I need or don’t need! So long as I behave myself and conduct myself in a reasonable civilized manner, I would take it very kindly for you to leave me the hell alone and mind your own damn business.

9. DanB says:

I don’t NEED a gun… I’ve said it before, and probably on here, but I will say it again.

“I am the weapon. The gun is just one of many tools.”

The subject came up where I work and I gave my (above) standard reply. Someone made the comment, “Oh, a Marine. His hands must be lethal weapons.” I didn’t waste my breath. But yeah, guns, knives, hands, feet, elbows, knees, teeth. Rocks, sticks, pens, pencils, rolled up magazines… And on, and on, and… I may be pushing 70, but some things we don’t forget.

10. Shell says:

Posted this in TSM’s comments:

My youngest daughter, age 11 now, knows I carry a pistol everywhere I go, as do all my children. About a year ago – after a bit of propagandizing by the Leftist corps of teachers at her school – she asked, “Daddy, what do you need it for?” I replied, “I sincerely hope I never need it, baby, but if someone threatens my life or yours or your brothers’ and sisters’ and I do need it I’ll have it.” She thought for a few moments, nodded, and said, “OK.”

11. Jeffery in Alabama says:

That is a goodun.

12. Antibubba says:

This may be the only way, short of violence, to get the message across.

Play nice.