Our libraries are too… white?

Perhaps Library Journal was intending to be provocative when they tweeted out a blog post by Sofia Leung, a librarian from “unceded Wampanoag land” (Massachusetts) about how libraries perpetrate whiteness through their collections. The concept is one of critical race theory. Which by the way, it has always been interesting to me that intellectuals and those associated with academia will argue that race doesn’t exist, yet filter their entire world view through the power dynamics of race relations.
-Michael

This entry was posted in Race. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Our libraries are too… white?

1. Larry says:

Well, it’s for sure that I see a lot more whites, Asians, and (dot) Indians at the library. Blacks are under-represented according to their population. Too many simply don’t value education.

• FaCubeItches says:

“Too many simply don’t value education.”

Aka – actin’ white.

I hereby denounce myself.

2. Unclezip says:

The Oregonian states that Porkland businesses are “too white and too male”. This in a high-tech and mostly White city. In other news, Porkland city council gave a $100k settlement to a negro worker who said the police department’s use of a Blue Lives Matter flag demeaned Black Lives Matter, and negatively affected her health. I shit you not.

3. Rowland says:

This is a continuation of the stupid “theory” that Blacks and Browns are disadvantaged because libraries and museums and theaters and opera houses are “white” spaces. If they want to go, go! Its almost as stupid as the theory that white kids are privileged and do better in school because their parents read to them at night. Therefore whites should stop reading to their kids to equal the scales.

• ChuckN says:

Not sure if you know this but parents reading to their kids has been cited more than once as a demonstration of white privilege and abject racism. The irony is that many on the left (and those in their servitude) buy into this explanation simply because they are not widely read.

• truthzzzz says:

I have heard proposals to ban whites from reading to their children.

Home schooling that enables children to learn actually learn, are better than current public schools. Enabling children to pursue ideas and areas they are interested in and to think produces people far more educated than the mind numbing Super-Max prison system that today’s schools are.
        Common core rots children’s minds as does the massive unnecessary testing to no point.
        Private schools do not have to follow those requirements.

Germany pursued parents who took their children to the USA to avoid German education. The USA court sided with Germany and returned them to Germany. this was a couple of years ago or so.

4. bogsidebunny says:

No prejudice or white privilege in my Book depository. I mostly see a 50-50 (white-Black) mix when I go to the library. Most are men over 30, haven’t bathed, shaved or changed their wardrobe in 6 months, smell of Au-d-Ripple and sit staring at the walls.

5. Richard Watson says:

Two words, “BLOW ME”

6. fjord says:

I read about this elsewhere.

She’s Asian. Do libraries in Japan have black and Hispanic literature represented equally? in China? Vietnam?

Maybe this whining and complaining by those who don’t produce anything of value because they don’t want you to notice that.

7. the other jack says:

it seems to me that these people waste a lot of energy trying to cloak their obvious (Antiwhite) racism. why the fuss? just” own it” as the kids like to say today.

so say it with me: “I dont like you. you dont like me.” there? now we’re communicating. we can either accept that status as-is and avoid one another to mutual satisfaction, or attempt to find common ground. depending on the weather I am agreeable to either position.

but this game of denial and passive aggressive posturing for superiority and moral high ground does no one a service.

• Lineman says:

When someone has a gun to your head how do you avoid them or find common ground…When they can fund their lifestyle through theft from you then you either find a way to negate their power or overcome their power… Problem is everyone is to comfortable in their slavery…

8. Bert says:

The ALA (American Library Association) is the equivalent of a sleeper cell. Their high minded policy making, such as Tranny Hour in the Children’s section, is pure bullshit. Guess who gives guidance for they titles of new acquisitions? And, btw, take a look of the predominant gender of their membership.

• RosalindJ says:

Exactly. Twigged to this in the 80s and they’ve been busy ever since, chipping away at what information if promoted and what is in the back shelves..or tossed.

9. brighteyes says:

I agree, all those damn white pages. They should be black and the type black too. That way the blacks would still get the amount of reading that exists in their culture today. I would love to know the level of illiteracy in the black American. I bet per capita they are the highest in the nation. See whad I’m sayins.

10. mjazzguitar says:

I bought into the myth of asians being intelligent until they started this shit.