Back in the good ol’ days…

Shit, if my folks needed something like this to keep me under control, they would’ve just hog tied me.

This entry was posted in funny pics. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Back in the good ol’ days…

1. rayvet says:

I actually had one of those. I remember crying whenever my mom made me hook up because I couldn’t climb in the back like a jungle Jim when tethered to that thing.

2. DanB says:

“For 1 to 10-year olds.”

What 10-year old kid would stand for that.

3. Judy says:

Um, in my parents vehicles you sit your ass down with your back against the seat and talked quietly among yourselves or slept. The last thing you wanted was for either one on them to tell you to quiet down and/or sit still. If they stopped the car, your ass was going to regret it.

4. rolldog says:

Beats letting them sit up on the package tray in the back seat.

5. Larry says:

I think it’s a safety device, not a control device.

6. the other other Andrew says:

That and harnesses and leashes for children. Ah, the good old days.

7. Bert says:

Dad had a ’51 Chrysler-a real tank-over 4,000 pounds of American V-8 power (it had a huge hemi, but that was in the day before Chrysler advertised it as such). It had a fold-down arm rest next to the driver. On long trips I would sit on the arm rest with Dad driving and Mom navigating. My older siblings were all in the back seat, doing what kids do on long trips.

8. WestcoastDeplorable says:

Do you remember the cord on the back of the car’s front seat? I used to hang onto it as I stood up in the back seat of our Plymouth (so I could see out).

• Bert says:

Now that you mention it, I do remember the cord, which was color matched to the blue paint on the exterior. It was kind of soft, sort of like what was used in theaters to form lines. I think all those extra touches explains why my dad was always a “Chrysler man”. Too bad they let their quality go to hell in the late ’50s and throughout the ’60s.

rolldog (above comment) mentions “package tray”, a term that I rather imagine would make the NHTSA upchuck: packages lined up just under the rear window waiting to get launched on a hard stop. “package tray” would be a good question for Jeopardy.

9. Daryl says:

I started wearing my seat belt when my kids were little and I heard the double thunk of them hitting the floor back of the seat every time I came to a stop. I had to set an example for them.

10. hvlee says:

I just sat on a box between my parents in the front seat of my dad’s Model A. Lord, how did i survive. Unvented gas heaters, two-wire, non-polarized wiring, riding the bus by myself to downtown Chattanooga to the movies when I was in grammar school.

11. Mike_C says:

I had one of those, briefly, as a kid. They tell me that I liked to stand on the front seat of the big ol’ Oldsmobile when I was two or so. Anyway, one day dad had to slam on the brakes. He managed to not hit the idiot who cut us off, then looked to his right, and I was gone. Dad said he had a bad moment there. He looked at the windshield, no toddler-Mike-shaped hole. Whew. But I’d disappeared. Then he heard crying from the back seat.

Apparently the harness had acted like a sort of bungee: when we decelerated I went forward, was (appropriately) restrained by the harness, then on recoil I flipped over the seatback. Dad said I was hanging upside down, still strapped to the harness. It was one of those “We’re not going to tell mom about this,” incidents.

12. Name (required) says:

My mom bought one of those when I was about three because it was easier than hogtieing me every trip. It had cotton webbing and a cheesy metal snap that would have snapped in any real accident, but it kept me from jumping into her lap.

13. Handy N Handsome says:

Nothing disgusts me any more than seeing some bimbo with her child or children on a leash.
    Makes me want to slap her upside the head.
    Unless she’s hot.
    In that case I’d have to spank her.

Play nice.