How to cook venison tongue

For those of you who try to eat every edible part of a deer, here’s how you do it right.
Different hunter have a different perception of what you need to keep from a deer. Steven Rinella from MeatEater is one who keeps just about everything you ever could.
MORE/VIDEO

This entry was posted in Fish and Game. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to How to cook venison tongue

1. censusdesignatedplace says:

My grandmother (German) used to make a great pickled tongue that I could never duplicate. She also made a killer ochsenschwanz. She was a cook, baker and seamstress with a sewing room full of blue and gold ribbons from the Ohio State Fair. If you dared ask for her recipe you were lucky to only get shoo’d out of her kitchen. When she passed, my grandfather died within 5 days. Talk about the end of an era.

• Organ meats aren’t really as common on American tables, with the exception of liver–and even beef liver is not the big seller it was sixty or seventy years ago.

That having been said, I should think that tongue would be perfectly suited for garlicky venison kielbasa, along with a lot of other things some people might not at first thought be enthusiastic about eating. And isn’t waste a sin?

2. Tim in AK says:

I’ve eaten many beef tongues in my life, and a couple moose tongues.

It’s excellent eating and shame to ignore and let it go to waste when butchering an animal.
    Probably the best sandwich meat in the world too with mayo and mustard.

My PT girl who is a former vegetarian is starting to re-enter the meat eating world, and I’m trying to convince her that tongue is excellent, but so far she just giggles at that.

• Peter B says:

Nothing like a tongue sandwich on good rye bread.

Mayo is good, but try chicken fat rendered with a bit of onion. With sliced dill pickled tomato (preferably lactic acid fermented, not vinegar pickle.) And a good beer.

• anonymous says:

Um boy, some lengua is an awesome breakfast or sandwich meat. A specialty meat that used to be much less expensive, just like fajitas.

3. brighteyes says:

I miss pickeled heart. We always had a jar of it in camp. Good stuff.

4. doug says:

Elk is even better. Hard to find, though.