No wonder I’m so tired all the time

Sleep scientist Matthew Walker has observed that “human beings are the only species that deliberately deprive themselves of sleep for no apparent gain.” We stay up late to watch our favorite TV shows. We wake up early to get to work or school on time. And twice a year we change our clocks, to the bewilderment of our circadian rhythms.

We also set up conflicts between our natural and social clocks in other, less obvious ways, a fact underscored in research published this month in the Journal of Health Economics. It turns out, the study found, that living on the wrong side of a time zone’s boundary can have negative consequences on a person’s health and wallet.

The culprit? More natural light in the evening hours.
-Rurik

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to No wonder I’m so tired all the time

1. bogsidebunny says:

At 76 I go to bed at 8 PM and wake at 7 AM the next day. It ain’t my intentional purpose to deliberately deprive myself of sleep in order to get up 9 times a night to piss.

2. censusdesignatedplace says:

Well, that’s an eye-opener.

3. fjord says:

There’s a link between lack of sleep and dementia, especially Alzheimer’s.

4. Padawan says:

What about those who go against their “internal” clock to work second or third shift?

• Frank says:

Worked third shift for several years. After a while, when the sun came up it would make me sleepy.

5. Jayhawk46 says:

Yeah, well we’re also the only species to fly to the moon or split the atom, so…

6. anonymous says:

I regularly get about 5 hours of sleep a night. Got into the habit when having to wake up especially early for my special needs son to catch the bus which picked him up at 5:45 a.m. My wife certainly could not get up reliably enough so it fell on me. It became an ingrained habit – I use the extra time to check out the internet for learning / entertainment.