The real reasons why New Yorkers are fleeing the city

True story: My wife and I both are former residents of New York City, and on a recent business trip there she was taking a nostalgic walk through the Upper West Side on a lovely fall day, talking to me on the phone about the possibility of moving back there. And then the crusty guy walking in front of her on the sidewalk stopped, dropped trou and took a dump right there on the sidewalk on Central Park West.

“Never mind,” she said.

We live in Texas, where we don’t have any state or local income tax or languish in rodential subterranean subway stations waiting for a train that may or may not come. For me, it was the subways that were the last straw. I had one of the easiest subway commutes in town: from City Hall to Grand Central, a nice straight shot on the express train. When it started taking me as long to get home downtown as it had when I lived in Norwalk, Conn., I decided it was time to get out.
-Steve

This entry was posted in You can't make this shit up. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The real reasons why New Yorkers are fleeing the city

1. BillDave says:

But they bring the the same politics to Texas, as what caused the problem in NY.

• FaCubeItches says:

20 years ago, it was popular for conservatives to laugh at how the blue states were losing population and the red states were gaining. They’re not laughing now, as it has finally dawned on them where that population flow was going….

• 1980XLS says:

Sadly, that will be the case fro some. But I can assure you, that will not be the case with myself.

2. 1980XLS says:

Story sounds eerily like myself.

I live in SW Ct, near Norwalk and my wife & I have decided to pick up and move to Houston, TX this fall.

I have always lived in the NYC area, but it is time to go. With pops gone the last year and my daughter having accepted her job offer to move to Denver after graduating college in NYC this May, my ties to this are are getting less and less. Many of our friends have also left for Florida Texas and New Hampshire the last few years as well.

My son moved to Houston 3 years ago and is now well established there. He loves it and has zero regrets. He recently got married and just announced a baby on they way, so we’re on our way as new and first time grandparents to be.

Aside from the reasons I’ve already mentioned, any other reasons are strikingly similar as to the author of this story.
    I will miss summers in western Connecticut, as it is a beautiful area, but the political and economic climate has become intolerable. Time to move on.

3. Cavguy says:

When you move on please leave all the big city expectation behind, if you can. The trend however is not indicated in the shift in these escape locations. Sad to say when these escapees land they begin to insist on making their new location just like the old one. Do us country folk a favor and fucking stay where you are and change your location! Or if that’s too hard for you, how about you swallow a pistol.

4. UH1H CE says:

I’m with Bill on this one: It’s all well and good that they flee their crappy environments, but they bring their life-long Democrat habit with them. 10 to 20 years later, they’ve Effed up Virginia, the Carolinas and Florida. Here in Virginia, our Democrats used to be too conservative for most of the country’s republicans, but now, the district formerly represented by Congressman Frank Wolf has put a dyke in congress.

5. Eod1sg Ret says:

Hey all you greener pastures guys and gals need to know a few things about Texas before you leave lovely New England. It’s hot down here about eight months a year. Blazing assed hot! Africa hot. And property taxes are real high to make up for no income tax. And there’s a lot of Mexicans and Blacks (we call em Texans) who are even less inclined to put up with silly leftist bullshit than us evil old white guys. Just sayin’.

• jimbobbyjoe says:

I live in Texas in June, July and August every year. I’ll take a hot North Texas summer day over a 20 degree cooler East Coast temp any day of the week.

And I think they’re called “Mesicans” in

• Frank says:

Grew up in Nebraska, and remember one summer where the daytime temps were nearing the 110 F mark. Bet I could train up from there to the Texas temps.

• H says:

I saw a bank thermometer reading 111 degrees in Norfolk, Nebraska once. It was hot for sure, but still felt cooler than Houston at 100 in August, which I’ve seen a buncha times. In my so-called opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary.

• Lineman says:

What part did you grow up in…

6. Sooper Edd says:

They’re coming here to Colorado from California and ruining this state like they did there.

• MMinLamesa says:

CO has been toast for years. In the 80s when the big bucks from Canada & CA moved in, it was the beginning of the end. Now a pole smoking fag is the Gov and he easily won. Quite a difference between now and 1970 when I moved there. Then it was a solid conservative state. Even the dems were level headed. Now? Fuck me. The City Council in Denver has passed a San Fran ordinance allowing bums to crap on the sidewalk and the DA is considering a regulation forbidding arrest on “minor” crimes.

Now in TX for 4 years I’m seeing the same damn thing happening here(not in w Texas) as over 10,000 people a month are moving into the DFW area alone. And you can bet your ass they aren’t all conservative, whatever that means these days anyway.

It’s the same bullshit happening in TN, VA, KY, NC, GA…as these locusts flee the policies that they’re responsible for. I’d love to see a law enacted here that would require a 5 year residency before you’re allowed to vote. Just like in CO where the large population counties, Denver & Boulder, run the state, here the huge Metroplex, Houston and Austin are gaining enormous populations.

7. czechsix says:

Yep, greener pastures….and then vote for shit that makes your new area the same as the old. Fucking bastards should just stay where the fuck they are. I say that as an Ex-Californian and a new Alaskan, lol.

• fjord says:

Course they do. because most people are under the assumption that government is supposed to do something FOR the people, that it serves some social construct.

It doesn’t.