This is what we do

-Elmo

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to This is what we do

1. SgtBob says:

Drivers in NE Texas, SW Arkansas, NW Louisiana and SE Oklahoma know this about log trucks: Get out of the way and don’t get close. Assume the driver does not see you. Same for gravel trucks.

• Scruff says:

The paper company’s up in northern Maine are very generous about letting people use their roads and land for recreation etc. The golden rule is stay the f out of their way. Some of the trucks are hauling 200,000 lb. loads and they ain’t going in the ditch for ya.

2. Fred Z says:

Where’s the line-up of feminists demanding to work in the timber industry?

• Elmo says:

They’re already fully employed by the Forest Service and are working hard to end logging.

• Riverwood says:

I spent from ’79 to ’89 working the woods as a “slash monkey” in the Pacific N.W., and there were lots of “Butch” gals out logging and tree planting. They weren’t feminists, just hard ass working women, and mean-assed drunks that didn’t take shit from anyone! It was the hippy enviro-nazis that shut done the U.S. logging industry. And don’t get me going on those Forest Circus idiots that continue to F-up the woods. Lib-tard College educated idiots that can’t leave well enough alone.

• PoppaGary says:

So true, some of the best stewards were the old loggers, many of whom were not very highly edumacted, at least formally.

3. Daryl says:

Some days the most I do is watch others work. Here is taking the timber off the mountain.

• Rick says:

There is a full length movie from about the late 1930s-early ’40s made about logging. It is a thrill a minute. It is not in the documentary style, but has a plot and A list actors. There is Noah Berry (I think) and Ward Bond and their movies are also full of action. And a side kick like Chill Wills or Andy Devine. Sorry, I don’t remember the name of the movie.

• flyboy56 says:

Dam! Daryl you almost need a pilot’s license to drive that thing. .

• Daryl says:

Nice views but looks like you will go down hill pretty fast if you get a tire on a soft berm.

• Elmo says:

The road in the video is very reminiscent of the Mosquito Ridge road SE of Foresthill, CA. Thirty years ago a guy’s short log trailer came unhitched, went off the road and ended up near the American River, 1500′ below. To my knowledge it’s still there.

• the other jack says:

probably thr least dangerous job on that mountain. that being said… thats a brave dude.

4. Cederq says:

I used to drive liquid O2 tankers around Seattle and I wouldn’t drive a log truck off of a mountain like that. Those drivers are plain nuts and have balls made of bright brass…

5. Paulo says:

I live in logging country on northern Vancouver Island. This video is normal everyday work life. Helicopter logging is also pretty cool. My job for 15 years was flying float planes into west coast camps and I often rode out in the fat trucks and also went out on settings in Hughes 500s. It’s not like it was, but the lifestyle and pay is still pretty good as long as it’s not Weyerhauser. We ran them out of BC. Pricks.

6. Kevin says:

And do it on snowy and icy roads too

7. LowKey says:

I drove truck on supply convoys in Iraq as a contractor and had to deal with IEDs. This video had my pucker factor up higher than back then.

8. Gryphon says:

Every Time I see someone Driving an Over-the-Road Tractor in places like That, I wonder why No One seems to have heard about the Oshkosh 8 x 8 Tractors that the Army uses for Serious Off-Road stuff… That or some of the Russian Rigs (Hell, Bears drive Tractor-Trailers that are Full-Tracked with the Trailer powered by a Connecting Driveshaft)
    I Guess You can get Away with it, but Damn, I’d want Every Axle Driving in Places like that…

Play nice.