Dry firing

This entry was posted in Guns, Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Dry firing

1. Nemo says:

I don’t a videos or test or anything. There’s just ablamk space under the article title.

2. james says:

great video. I have dry fired a 1911 many thousands of times without ill effect.

• rayvet says:

When I first got into guns back in 2008 (guess who was getting inaugurated that year hence my interest in starting my collection?), the three gun stores I frequented allowed dry firing of guns. They made it sound like it was something only recently being allowed (by all 3). This after I read online stuff about guns (tried to learn as much as I could) about NEVER dry fire weapons. Fast forward to now and all 3 stores have signs, please don’t dry fire our guns. Interesting to see the changes occur.

3. Nemo says:

OK, it was me or actually my browser. I changed setting in Firefox yesterday. I just changed it back and it comes through now.

4. M. Sage says:

I’d say his 30 year old cut off is very conservative. And it depends a lot on commercial vs military.

Generally*, military stuff (especially a rifle) is designed to be dry fired and has been safe to do so since they switched away from percussion muzzle loaders.

*Generally, because there are a few pistols out there that don’t like dry firing. The only gun I can think of that has a proven reputation for breaking firing pins through dry firing is the old Czech Vz.52 pistol. The firing pin is thin, it has a really sharp shoulder at the tip, the shoulder is what stops forward motion of the firing pin, and I’m pretty sure the firing pins were cast, because they have that look and are extremely brittle.

5. Edward Teach says:

Snap caps don’t cost all that much ya cheap bastards.

6. Towser says:

As I don’t have 23 minutes to view the video, please accept my comments on dry firing as such. I’ve seen opinions on both sides of the issue, but I do not dry fire much for the same reason I don’t use snap caps – with a semi-automatic pistol, the practice fails to simulate the action. Mostly one gains practice pulling the trigger. Add a laser bullet and target and you gain some accuracy. For these reasons, I’ve gone to air pistols for additional practice. I recently acquired a blowback pistol to better simulate recoil. It by no means perfect but I find it more satisfying than dry firing. I have seen improvement in my shooting. Whatever your preference, I’d say we can all agree practice is better than not practicing.

7. mobiuswolf says:

I broke a bowen pin in my redhawk. A years worth of dry firing, shitloads.

Play nice.