King of the Hill

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to King of the Hill

1. Elmo says:

Full brim hard hat, hickory shirt, barrel chest. He looks a lot like a guy I knew. When you’d follow him down the road in a pickup he looked like he took up half the cab, because he did.
    I caught him loading a barrel of oil off of the ground and into the back of a pickup once. I told him he should consider what condition his back might be in when he gets older but he just laughed at me. He had too much fun being a young bull to stop doing what he did.

2. Old Gray Wolf says:

I use to do shit like that when I was working structural steel in my youth. Then my brain developed. Happened after I fell a few stories. Caught myself on an angle brace that was sticking out. Made that right arm/shoulder pretty much useless for a bit. Funny how shit like that makes you a lot more careful. I wasn’t even doing anything crazy when it happened, made me see how quick we can get smoked, no need for stupid shit to help Murphy out…

3. Phssthpok says:

That Column he’s standing on.. yeah… I make those.

Lemme tell ya, getting a decent weld in the narrow space between the flange of the beam his feet are on and the flange of the channel between his feet is a right proper BITCH.

4. Glenn B says:

Talk about wait for it, the wait in this case for one streong gust of wind. Ballsy – yes; smart – I kind of doubt it.

5. Bert says:

Knew a guy who did steel work in NYC for about 6 months a year, then spent the other 6 with his huge paycheck and his beautiful wife. Kinda lost track of him-always wonder which got him first-the heights or his woman. I think they divorced and he went elsewhere.

6. haha@1luis says:

bet his friends all went for beer and left his ass there.

7. Judy says:

Ah, to be that young, healthy and dumb, again.

Come to think of it, I don’t want to go through the process, again. I’m pretty sure I’m not smart enough to, not make all the same mistakes again. Hence, the dumb part in the statement above.

8. a h prime says:

i would fire his ass for a stunt like that. read OSHA.

9. brighteyes says:

King of no brains

10. Klaus says:

I’ve done that on some rather large Hemloks after setting the sling for the crane to pic the top 3rd off, but nowhere near that kinda height.

• warhorse says:

as kids, we used to do what we called “tree walking”. climb to the top of a tree, grab hold, and lean until you can reach the top of the next tree. then transfer. keep going until you run out of forest of the top of the tree breaks off and you go for a ride.

usually the pine trees have a lot of branches that bend and slow your decent. usually.

11. lineman says:

I used to do that on the top to towers and wood poles when I had no responsibilities except myself…I had a life insurance policy for my burial and no debt so I wouldn’t be a burden on anyone if I went…Fun times…

Yeah, I’ve done some incredibly stupid shit on towers just to give my friends something to talk about.

• lineman says:

Craziest thing I’ve done was a one armed handstand on the top of one…I wish cell phone cameras had been prevalent to document it…

• Grandpa says:

Most of the stupid shit I did was sponsored by my beloved Corps. I like to think I’m older and wiser. Older, for sure, wiser? I’m probably not. Hence, the decades working the ramp.

12. Sedition says:

Can you say “Fuck that shit” kids?

Sure…I knew you could.

13. C says:

That pic is a couple of decades, old judging by the style of cars below.

14. Beaches says:

I think about the stupid stuff I did when I was young. I wonder why I am alive.

15. Abbys says:

That building behind the dumb guy looks like one in Pittsburgh. I wonder where this was taken…

16. Butch says:

When I was in the SeaBees, back in 1970 something, I knew several Indians (feather) who worked high steel. Apparently many Indians around the east coast worked hig steel and loved it. They made great money.

I never understood how they could work that high or why. Some said it was all about the eagles or some-such.

• crazyeighter says:

Supposedly, there’s an East Coast tribe (Mohawks?) that has a “genetic defect” that prevents them from getting vertigo, and so were drawn to working the high steel.

17. anonymous says:

No. Fricking. Way. Would I ever do something like that, I’m fraidy cat of heights !!

Play nice.