JOINT BASE LEWIS-McCHORD, Wash. – As Joint Base Lewis-McChord has continued to grow and change around them, 193 buildings on JBLM North have remained mostly untouched throughout their 78 years here. Now, after outlasting their projected lifespan of five years, the buildings, known as D Block, will be demolished over the next year to make room to support new base requirements.
After securing funding for the project last year, asbestos abatement and lead paint removal began in the fall. The demolition started May 6 and is slated to last through November.
Originally built in only 90 days in 1941, D Block was part of a 1,000-building cantonment that housed Soldiers training for World War II. The buildings weren’t only barracks, but mess halls, post exchanges, chapels, libraries and theaters.