Talk about a sticky situation

Somewhere, Winnie the Pooh is shedding a tear.

Early Wednesday, a semi hauling 41,000 pounds of “Amber Honey” lost control and rolled over on I-80/94 in Lake County.

The crash caused five containers of honey to fall out of the truck, and at least four of the containers are leaking honey onto the interstate, police said. Eight containers of honey were still inside the box trailer after the crash.

*****

A train had derailed between Oakdale and Escalon about 30 years back, and one of the cars that had been thrown on its side was loaded with Hershey’s chocolate syrup.  Makes sense, Hershey had a chocolate factory in Oakdale back then.
Naturally, when I had time a day or two later, I just had to jump in my truck and head that way to see for myself. There’s not a whole lot of excitement in Riverbank City of Action, so we had to get what we could when we could. A train derailment was worth going to.
Chocolate syrup was everywhere. Keep in mind this was in the middle of summer in the Central Valley, temps were over 100 degrees and not a hint of wind in an area surrounded by huge dairies. When me and my buddy David got there, you could see a dark haze over the area from 500 yards away and we were both wondering just what in the hell was that all about? We found out. Flies. About a billion of those motherfuckers. And we’re in a truck with no air conditioning, so the windows were down as we rolled up. I had flies in the cab for the next two weeks.

This entry was posted in Forgot to categorize. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Talk about a sticky situation

1. Dolt says:

Probably more difficult to clean than this.

Makes me remember this from Harry Chapin

2. ken says:

my home town 40 yrs ago

3. B says:

Too early for flies yet, thank God.

This was about 30 miles from where I live.

Pretty well fucked up traffic everywhere for a while.

4. Elmo says:

What has four wheels and flies?

5. De Oppresso Liber says:

Chapin was a great story teller through his music. Died way too young.

6. Joe says:

Many many moons ago a boxcar of Coors derailed and tumbled into the Feather River. WTH, it was free.

7. Cynikal says:

When I was a kid a semi full of chicken fried steak overturned. My dad bought a half pallet off the back end … we had chicken fried steak for every meal for a year

8. Brad_in_IL says:

Nothing quite compares to the Great Boston Molasses Flood of January 1919. In the days just before the start of Prohibition, a distiller of industrial alcohol in East Boston had a 2.3 million gallon storage tank hastily built. When filled with Molasses, the tank failed and a tidal wave of molasses crashed through the streets at an estimated 30 to 35 mph. Took YEARS to clean up the mess.

9. Plankton67 says:

Oh, bother.

10. Skip says:

Yesterday on SR43 we passed a semi on the shoulder that had about 40 dead big old hogs beside it it. Guts and shit all over the side of the trailer. Looks like he had to lock up the brakes and they stacked up and spilled over the side. My grandson wanted to stop and grab one ….fuck you, kid.