The ‘Roof Koreans’ of the Rodney King riots

During the 1992 Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, armed Korean store owners stationed themselves on top of their shops to protect their property from looters and became known as the “Roof Koreans.”

A riveting Twitter thread celebrated these brave heroes as the anniversary of the riots approaches.
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in California, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The ‘Roof Koreans’ of the Rodney King riots

1. Gordon says:

The guy in the red shirt in the photo with the article is holding a Daewoo rifle, I believe. I bet he could handle it like he was taught in boot camp. ROK soldiers are bad asses.

2. Sanders says:

A white guy I knew, retired Army 1st Sgt and was a door gunner in Vietnam, was married to a Korean lady. He told me he was there, and those folks were his in-laws. Said he kept in the background and carried an M1 Carbine for the occasion.

He is since deceased, but he was as honest as the day is long, so I never had any reason to doubt his claims.

• Bobo the Hobo says:

We were stationed at Osan in 1977. I can attest ROK troops are badasses. Now I want bulgogi, dammit!

3. SgtBob says:

Hoo-rah! That’s an old Korean saying for, “We kicked ass, didn’t take any f’n names.”

4. somedude says:

long time LAPD guy since retired, He told me those buildings/business were marked days prior.

5. the other other Andrew says:

We should all channel our inner ‘Roof Korean’ for the coming struggles.

And as we’ve seen, police have no responsibility other than collecting paychecks and pensions.

6. Stretch says:

I fear 2020 will result in a lot of “voting from the roof tops.” Time to work on my declination fire.

Play nice.