BOHICA, Californians

California will require background checks for all gun ammunition purchases after a new law went into effect this week.

California has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, but state leaders hope the new rule will decrease violence even more so by cracking down at the root of the problem, according to The Associated Press.

“At the end of the day, it is a perverse fact: Guns don’t kill people. Unless a gun is used as a blunt instrument, a gun is not particularly dangerous,” Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) said Monday, according to Fox 40. “A gun requires a dangerous component and that’s ammunition.”

*****

And as for all you Californians saying “We’ll all just go to Nevada or Arizona to buy our ammo”, don’t. Just don’t. It ain’t gonna happen.
Sure, you might make one trip, maybe two, but for the 95% of Californians that don’t travel out of state on a regular basis, that will be it.

Most Californians live in the western or central part of the State, several hours and at least a couple hundred miles from the border. They’ll make an initial ammo run and think they’re getting away with something but when the time comes for another one they’re going to start running the numbers thinking “Hmmm, I’m paying $3.70 a gallon for gas and my truck only gets 16 mpg and from Modesto to Reno is 210 miles, 420 round trip” and then they’ll realize they just tacked on another hundred bucks onto the price of their ammo, and that’s not including meals and a room if they decide to stay overnight.
Nope, what’s going to happen is the next time they run short on ammo they’re going to say “Fuck that, I’ll just score some down at my local gun shop. It’s only a dollar extra for the background check which beats the hell out of a hundred bucks in gas and the 500 dollars my old lady lost at the tables. Besides, it’s not like the State doesn’t already know what firearms I have.”

I ain’t done yet.

The system the State uses will be overwhelmed. It’s going to go down due to the strain and the first time will likely be within a month of the new law going into effect. So it’s going to have to either upgraded or replaced and guess who’s going to pay for that? Ammo buyers, the people that ’caused’ it to crash, that’s who. Why should everybody else have to pay for something that only benefits evil gun owners? How will they pay for it? That’s easy – they’ll raise the cost of the background check to cover it. This year it’s a buck, next year it’s $2.50, who knows what it’ll be in five years.

But wait, it gets worse.

You may or may not need a California Real ID to purchase your ammo – they ain’t sure yet. Gavin Newsom says you do, California DOJ says you don’t. You can read about that HERE.
But while they’re bitch fighting about it at the moment, you can rest assured that you will eventually have to present a Real ID to buy your ammo because the California government ain’t never met a gun restriction it don’t like.
This means an entire day taken off work to sit in a packed DMV office to get a Real ID in the mail 6 weeks later just so you can buy ammo. But hey, going to the DMV can be fun if you play it right – I once was listening to 2 guys counting up the different languages they heard that day. The count was up to 16, I think.

So there it is. The Nation’s first Ammo Background Check. New Jersey, Massachusetts and New York will soon follow.
My advice to get around this bullshit law? It’s simple – move. Get the fuck out. If you can’t do it tomorrow, start making plans to do it ASAP. Look, I understand not being able to move for whatever reason – maybe your spouse doesn’t want to, you’ve got too much time invested in your job, you own a small business, whatever. I do understand. I had way too many years in at my job and was too close to a full retirement to move. But as soon as I could, I retired and got my ass out of California.
If you are one of those people that can’t leave, let me give you some more free advice: Learn to reload. As far as I know there’s no restrictions on buying primers, powder, bullets or brass. Not only are you going to find that your ammo cost is going to drop considerably once you get back your initial investment, but you’re also going to realize how fun it is. Seriously, when I first got into reloading there was a stretch where I was going out and burning up ammo so I’d have empty brass to load.
You can buy an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Kit that includes everything but the die set and loading components such as powder, primer, etc for about $375 and what do you know, it even includes a Nosler loading manual which has a very good loading tutorial in it. Myself, I learned to reload from a series of articles in a magazine, I believe it was Guns & Ammo, because I had nobody to teach me.
Learning to load won’t cure all of your California gun woes but it’ll damned sure let you sidestep this ammo background check bullshit.

Rant over.

This entry was posted in California, Gun Control, Rants. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to BOHICA, Californians

1. Matt says:

A great book on how to reload is The ABC’s of reloading. Everything from building and setting up a loading bench to types of equipment. Shows you how to set up the dies, use a case trimmer, etc.

2. Jim says:

I know for a fact california cops always are present at the Reno gun shows. How difficult is it to catch a californian buy anything at the gun shows then report the vehicle to the fruit and nut inspection stations. When they get to the station everyone has to get out for inspection. Busted…

• Tom MacGyver says:

How many of them are going to care? Most of them are pro-gun…

No, the outspoken ones are pro gun. The vast majority of them will follow orders. Hell, even the pro-gun cops will follow orders.
        The words “Sorry, I’m just doing my job” and “I don’t make the laws, I just enforce them” come to mind.

3. Fred Z says:

There will be a black market so fast your head will spin. Buddy will canvas his friends as to who wants what, make the long drive to a neighboring state, then come back with a truck full. He’ll also bring extra to sell.

And Buddy will sell it at a hefty profit too to cover his gas, time and his own ammo costs, so people will just keep going to their local gunshop where it’s only a dollar more.

• FaCubeItches says:

Orale, vato, we already got smuggling routes, warehouses, and distribution networks set up. We ga’chu on this, gringo! Free 8-ball of coke with every 1,000 rounds, too.
      – The Cartels

4. Elmo says:

Feel free to rant anytime.
    Regarding reloading, another great source of equipment is eBay. You can get virtually anything you’ll need and usually at great savings, especially if you’re not in a hurry and can play it cool when it comes to bidding. I’ve bought RCBS carbide die sets that retail for $45 – $60 for less than $25, including shipping.
    If you don’t reload but are thinking you’d like to (or may have to), start collecting what you’ll need now. I can guarantee you that this cancer that is ammunition registration will be spreading to other states before you know it.

5. Tsquared says:

I have a RCBS Rockchucker and can’t say anything bad about it. It does take four pulls of the handle to make a completed pistol round and if I have everything running right I could put out 90 to a 100 rounds per hour. Add another $250 for a Dillon 550C and for every pull a completed round drops out where I can pump out 350 to 450 rounds per hour.

I still use my Rockchucker for case prep on rifle cases or when I am working up new loads.

My Rockchucker has been going strong for 35 years now and the only thing I’ve had to replace was the used primer tray. And yeah, that was my speed too, about a hundred rounds per hour.

• Jason says:

And RCBS has great customer service. I’ve actually damaged a die when I first started, my own fault. I called RCBS and explained I needed a replacement and it was my fault. I asked how much, they sent me replacement at no cost.

And since you reminded me, I think they replaced that primer tray for free.

• RHT447 says:

+1. I have a couple of those stories too. Started with my RCBS Jr. press in 1977. Mail ordered it in ’75 along with some dies and other stuff while I was still on station in (formerly) West Germany (go Army). Had it all sent to my dad’s house. My first two die sets were 223 and 45-70.

Yes, they don’t care if you bought it used off Ebay. If it’s busted, they will take care of you.

I worked at Huntington’s in Oroville from 2012 to 2014. Got to know Fred Jr. and Buzz Huntington.

• Jason says:

Another thing to keep in mind, RCBS often has rebates on their equipment (at least they do through Midwayusa). SO, while it might be a bit more spendy then a Lee set up you can get a bit of money back.

6. Exile1981 says:

If you move out of california please don’t bring any liberal attitudes with you. No sense in poisoning the waters of your new home.

• hvlee says:

Yeah, I wish they’d stop telling people to leave California, New Jersey and the other Peoples’ Republics. They’re destroying Texas and Georgia’s already turning purple.

• Danne says:

Agreed, already too many from Calif surging into Arizona, complete with “baggage”! The Wall needs to turn north up the Colorado River to Canada. Cut off the Left Coast!

7. crazyeighter says:

Then there’s the California LEOs that will be working every main road in and out of state, looking for lawbreakers to make an example of. If you thought they got bent out of shape over an out-of-state apple…

• Butch says:

Yeah, and if they find even one 22LF round they might impound your car and everything that’s in it under civil forfeiture “laws”

8. irontomflint says:

Now drug runners will have “bootleg” ammo for the return side from delivering whichever illicit drugs they were ferrying to their buyers in other, non ammo-checking states.

This will offset the higher cost of fuel for the round-trip that Cali charges, and provide their
    protectionist “Vatos” with ample wares to insure their “safe travels”.

The illegal economy that Cali elected officials are setting up for all of their favorite gangs will do wonders too! Being able to undercut State prices for weed, meth, etc,. No sales taxes to pay! Cheap, no questions asked ammo! All brought to you by your elected officials!! Such a deal!

Catch ya on the flip side, Good Buddy!

• Elmo says:

The Executive Director of Gun Owners of California has pointed out that it will be perfectly legal for a gang member in Las Vegas to bring in any amount of ammunition and give it to his brothers in Los Angeles. So long as no money has changed hands no laws have been broken.

9. Klaus says:

I have some extended family living in Conn. and since 2013 I think you can’t purchase ammo unless you have a ammunition purchasing permit/ card. There’s a fee and a background check and you go into the database. Same with a long gun. It was part of Gifford’s law or some bs like that. I think Mass. is the same.

10. Alemaster says:

ID required to buy ammo but not to vote. Yeah. Sounds about right. We are so foocked! regards, Alemaster

11. Chris Mallory says:

Importing ammo into California without the background check is now a crime for individuals.
    Kentucky shops do require Illinois residents to produce their FOID to purchase ammo, in accordance with Illinois law.
    Kentucky FFLs are also required to enforce the Illinois waiting period on long guns for Illinois residents. The Wal Mart had signs up that they would not sell to Illinois residents because of that.
    The waiting period is required by the ATF to make the sale legal since an interstate firearm transfer must follow the law of both states. Not sure if the same rule applies to ammo or not.

12. larryw says:

It will be interesting to see how this affects out of state visitors. We fled CA (for ID) but regularly drive back to visit family and friends. I always bring my CCW and a few boxes of ammo in the event my nephew wants to visit the NorCA gun club I maintain membership in.

• Joe Mama says:

The law only applies to CA residents. Since you are a non-resident you are good.

SEC. 8.7. Section 30314 is added to the Penal Code, to read: 30314. (a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30312.

13. brent says:

Take names. Keep your list up to date.

14. Tom MacGyver says:

Most people who gave a damn about this new law are now so overstocked that they could begin black-marketing ammo themselves…

15. B_Rad says:

I’m a California 07 FFL. Basically we are a precision Machine Shop with our own Precision Billet Receivers for the AR15 and AR10. The guns are a sideline. But I can tell you that the average California Gun Owner is under the belief that any day now the NRA is going to file a shit load of law suits and roll back all of the un Constitutional Laws. Fat chance. They’re broke. Hopefully CalGuns.org, GOA, and CRPA pool their resources and file some shit. The 9th is actually leaning a little conservative right now and it stands to lean farther that way.
    We’ve participated in petition drives in conjunction with GOA and trying to get some people to sign on the dotted line is frustrating as hell. They’re stupid. We actually had more women sign the petitions then men. The states a disaster and I don’t see it getting any better until it melts down.
    I still get mt ammo wholesale. So screw them.

16. Edward Teach says:

Natchez is a good source for reloading stuff.

17. Burgess Schnitzius says:

Hell, I drive to Reno just for a burger (Awful Awful at the Nugget). Stopping at Cabela’s is a must. Then I usually come back via highway 50. A nice ride on the motorcycle.

Play nice.