VERDICT: Jury awards Gibson’s Bakery $11 million against Oberlin College

The Jury in the Gibson’s Bakery v. Oberlin College case has reached a verdict.

According to our reporter in the Courtroom, the jury awarded $11 million. Here are the details: Allyn W. Gibson awarded $3 million, David Gibson $5.8 million, Gibson Bros. $2,274,500. Next Tuesday there will be a separate punitive damages which could be a double award (meaning tripling the $11 million to $33 million).

As previously posted, I was amazed at the tone-deaf and demeaning approach of Oberlin College to this family business. Oberlin College claimed the Bakery was worth only $35k, less than one semester at Oberlin College:

I’m still shaking my head at the tone-deafness of the defense in belittling this family business which has sustained five generations of Gibsons, and at the time of the protests sustained three generations: 90-year-old Allyn W. Gibson, his son David Gibson, and his grandson Allyn D. Gibson. There also were almost a dozen employees. After the protests, the Gibsons stopped taking salaries and most of the employees have been laid off. This is real life to these people. To say that the business was worth only $35,000 erases the lives of these people. Maybe it’s just the plaintiff’s lawyer in me coming out, but I’d cross examine this defense expert and college president, and show in closing argument, the tuition, room and board charges at Oberlin College. This business, which has been an important feature of the community since 1885, is worth less than one semester at Oberlin College?

This case is bigger than just this case, and reflects reflects Higher Ed disconnect from the lives of most Americans:
MUCH MORE HERE
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in Liberals, News, Race, Snowflakes, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to VERDICT: Jury awards Gibson’s Bakery $11 million against Oberlin College

1. Beaches says:

I hope this encourages everyone else in America to fight back against the so-called “elite” institutions that seem to control our culture.

2. SgtBob says:

Oberlin leadership has learned nothing, as shown by its refusal to accept responsibility. Congratulations to a jury that has more sense than do the super-degreed people who know in their hearts that the sweaty masses need not be listened to.

3. J-Dog says:

Bill Whittle said it best, “Oberlin College, where reason and logic go to die”.

4. Mark says:

Excellent news. Fuxking leftists need consequences for acting on their insanity.

5. Stevie says:

And the irony that Oberlin was founded by Presbyterians!

6. Rick says:

Reading the comments is insightful. The big issues are how this will affect 1) CNN & Wash Post Vs Covington kids; 2) other college administrations.

The consensus, which includes several lawyers, is CNN et al are shitting their pants yet it is doubtful that college admins will get the hint, that more of these awards against colleges are necessary.

How much is CNN willing to pay (settlement to plaintiffs) to avoid discovery. The discovery in Gibson disclosed a lot of the unsavory practices of Oberlin. Is CNN willing to have the mask pulled from their face and their true nature shown to the world via discovery?

7. pigpen51 says:

Oberlin College was the only college that offered me a full scholarship for football my freshman year. That was 40 years ago, but I am still glad that I did not go there. I would have to hide my head in shame.

8. Nemo says:

While the Gibsons seem to have won the battle, I have my doubts that they’ll win the war. Oberlin will appeal and appeal and appeal and the Gibsons will never get a dime. Sad that.

9. Bootmaker says:

hmmm…as i see it, this award will get pared down on appeal…the Gibsons will sell out and still retire elsewhere as millionairs… the bakery will turn into a starbucks…and the college will have paid a buttload of money to have ‘made a stand’. aint life grand !

10. The Rat Fink says:

This is simply another example of blind allegiance to the Leftist agenda on the part of an institution of “higher learning”.
    Whutta joke!
    So what are the real consequences? As far as I can see they consider this the cost of doing business… the “business” of the Left that is. They could have learned from the Duke rape case if learning was the point and monetary awards is the penalty, but the so-called “perfessers” at Duke, who cost the University tons of money for the very same reason, never learned anything or lost their jobs! I’m betting the same thing happens here. That’s why the punitive damages should be significantly higher! 33 mil is probably a drop in the bucket for these well funded Marxists. These “perfessers” need to be fired and their institutions need to be broken, shut down and sold for their well hidden assets!

11. whynot says:

Now……sue the individuals involved…….the case against the college has been decided…..should be pretty easy to win against the individuals…….

12. bradoplata says:

I think the local angle was key. Locals are getting tired of the bullshit and gave the college a big “fuck you”. Hope everything holds on appeal, or the school’s insurance company tells then to just settle.

• Mike_C says:

Funny you mention that. Looks like the insurance company is saying that Oberlin’s coverage doesn’t include deliberate acts of malice on the part of Oberlin or persons representing Oberlin, and that falsely accusing someone of racism to damage their business and reputation IS malicious. Therefore Oberlin is not covered so far as Lexington Insurance is concerned.

Oberlin will have to sue their own insurance company to see money from them.

And we’re not even done with Gibson’s. The 11 million are compensatory damages. There could be up to another $22 million in punative damages.