When it rains it pours

We just got hit by another storm and it split that pecan tree again – well, not really split it but it finished what Friday night’s storm started. There was one great big heavy branch coming from the trunk that got pushed back into the branches above it, keeping it from hitting the ground. The wind cracked the branch that was supporting it so it’s on the ground now but still attached to the tree. Hopefully it’ll make it easier for me to finish the job.
Not only that, but it missed the shed.

From the looks of things all I’ve got to do as soon as the ground dries is cut away all the shit on the ground releasing the spring tension, pull that shit away from the tree with my truck, then I can climb up and cut the branches off at the trunk. Hopefully I’ll survive the ordeal without getting catapulted into Kentucky, then I can just drop the tree.

This entry was posted in Tennessee, True Stories, Wirecutter, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to When it rains it pours

1. Donny Corleone says:

Be careful with that saw and the tension on the tree. I cut one one time with tension on it and I could feel the wind from it as it went by my head. It was mighty close.

2. Roger says:

Be careful my friend, Chain saws, half broken trees and 50 + years of ‘experience’ may work against you.

3. Yeah, try to avoid gettin’ catapulted into Kentucky. Happened to a friend of mine once. He didn’t like it much. Took him a week to make his way back home.

4. Cederq says:

We wanna see you get catapulted to Ol’ Kentuck! So you too could be part of your logo… “Where bad choices make good stories.”

5. grego says:

Wow. Don’t work too hard. Take lots of breaks. Are you good at sharpening chainsaws?

6. taildragger says:

I too am in NW Tennessee(Obion County) and seen the front headin’ thisa way so I did a preemptive strike on a maple and an oak tree whose branches were hangin’ low from the last storm. I removed the limbs and stashed them behind the house so the front wouldn’t blow them down the road. I finished just in time to watch my neighbors pile of downed limbs from the last storm blow into the road. I’m gonna grab a cold one and watch my neighbor drag them out of the road so the local utility trucks can get by.

7. Onehalfmvsquared says:

Just remember things tend to happen in threes….

Eyes open. Best of luck to you.

8. Chris Mallory says:

We had another major storm blow through just a bit ago. Lots of damage at the marinas over on Kentucky lake.
    I have dodged the bullet twice this year. A tornado back in the spring missed my house by 300 yards. Today, 120 mph straight line winds missed my house by less than 100 yards. Keep your flashlight close tonight man.

Yessir, and my generator’s still on the back porch. We lost power again about 5 PM for an hour.
      We’re under a severe thunderstorm watch until 6 PM tomorrow.

• grego says:

Wow. I live here in Montana. The grey clouds have just been rolling across for the last 7 days. Hardly leaving a drop of rain here.

9. Stevie says:

Been there, Kenny, and with a lesser but no less scary tree situation than you have with that dang pecan tree. Don’t let it be a widow maker, Bro. Measure trajectory and wind behaviour twice, then wait, then do it. Keep dogs clear…I almost forgot that aspect, when my damn dog almost caught the stick of his dreams!

10. the other other Andrew says:

Go a different route. Get yourself some Tannerite…

Otherwise, take care. And if you do use the tannerite, take care…

11. Sanders says:

All I can say is that if you get catapulted is — YEEEEEHAWWWWWW!!!!!

It’s just the landing that’s a bitch, amigo.

12. Old Peculier says:

I’ve got a mental image of wirecutter soaring through the sky chainsaw in hand and backlit by a full moon, as the music from E.T. plays…..

13. Andy says:

Keep the alarm system Jack close at hand.

14. Suppo says:

Save or sell that wood! Pecan is some valuable lumber and the small stuff is great BBQ material. But I didn’t need to tell you that, right?

15. Tsgt Joe says:

Many years ago I got a call at work”your fathers been injured and he’s in the hospital” when I got there Mom told me he had been up a tree helping his friend augie chop it down, something popped and it catapulted him off the ladder from 20 feet in the air and his back was broken. When I walked into his room I asked dad: so, what do I tell people what my 68 year old father was doing up a tree? He looked at me for a moment and said: tell ‘em I was chasing a cat. Apparently something was under tension because the limb he had his ladder propped against flipped him right off, as he told it “I immediately went through my landing check list, number one, push away from the chainsaw, two, get my gear down. I was doing well till I hit the garage then I flipped off onto a pile of bricks” He had wanted to work till he was 70 but his back was too painfull. He was a tough old bastard, when he was 70 he was diagnosed with lung cancer, they opened him up saw it was to advanced and closed him back up. The surgeon told me his type of cancer had to be cut out chemo/ radiation wouldnt do the job. He said “ be nice to your dad, you’re not going to have him long” he lived another 13 years. Back to the tree incident. I stopped by to visit him in the hospital on the 2nd or 3rd day and found him looking at the clipboard with the nursing notes, his glasses had been broken in the fall and he was straining to see the notes. He looked at me and said”its not fair, I’ve been in a lot of pain, and I know I haven’t been nice but they shouldn’t have written that” I looked at the notes, all he could see was SOB, had to tell him that meant “shortness of breath”.
    So, stay cool my friend and don’t let that tree ruin your day.

16. Tennessee Budd says:

This is just normal weather for here, Ken. Doesn’t happen every year, but it can be counted on to recur.
    That calm you mentioned in your last post? That’s the thing to watch for. When it gets that still, it’s often about to get real.
    Hope cleanup isn’t too onerous.

It happened the first year when I was here, we had a strong straight line wind knock down that hickory across the road. It was drizzling a little when I got up an hour earlier to piss, a nice warm gentle rain, then all hell broke loose.

17. James says:

You survived the storms,do not let the cleanup kill ya’s!

18. Jeff says:

I’m just across the hill from Mumfordville, and we just finished round 3 for the day, no trees in the road, but we’ve had 9+ inches of rain this week. Was setting on the porch and heard a tree fall, not sure if it’s mine or the neighbors, we’ll figure it out tomorrow. Save that pecan and get a smoker, a big pork butt or a brisket.

19. stine says:

Stay lucky. The lightning here in Atlanta barbequed the pole pig across the street and blew up the line driver chips in my firewall (it now rattles when I shake it.) We were without power for about 6 hours and I won’t know what else is dead until I replace the firewall tomorrow….

20. EJ says:

As others have noted, be careful with trees under pressure! Shaving away at the compressed side is the old standby method for dealing with this. If you’re comfortable with borecuts, there is this approach. http://truebluesam.blogspot.com/2018/12/cut-springpoles-and-leaners-like-boss.html?m=1

• James says:

I have never done bore cuts,not sure I would be comfortable with that.My guess is best for me to get someone who has more knowledge to drop and then I can deal with the rest,still,a good video tutorial.

21. MadMarlin says:

Aww hell Ken, just do as my neighbor does and light it on fire when there is a beautiful cool day. The kind of day one would open the windows to let fresh air in. Then let that fucker smolder for two weeks. Every. Fucking. Year. I’m sorry, I digress.

Stay safe and wear your PPE.

22. Greg says:

Have ya thought about just cutting all that’s left of branches back to the stump and leave it for a few months and see if it starts to sprout new shoots? I’d sure give it a try.

Play nice.