Yeah, a Califas plate should’ve fooled ’em

VENTURA COUNTY, Calif. — This vintage-looking license plate didn’t fool a police officer in Southern California.

A Moorpark officer recently pulled over a tractor-trailer to conduct a traffic stop for a false license plate, the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department said in a release Monday. The plate appeared to be designed after California’s 1960s vintage plates — though with some obvious differences.

This entry was posted in California, You can't make this shit up. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Yeah, a Califas plate should’ve fooled ’em

1. TRF says:

“Looks normal to me” said the hophead under the influence of methamphetamine…
    Just like the drunk walking straight down a sidewalk in the middle of an earthquake!

2. David Font says:

Had a neighbor long ago when I was growing up who ran a junkyard. When the license plate color changed January 1 he would repaint his license plate to whatever the new color was. He’d drive on that until a car got scrapped with a valid plate. Sometimes I miss things about the days before computers.

3. hvlee says:

My cousin used to do that for his boat trailer tag. He did a better job, though. It was easier with embossed tags than the new flat ones.

4. crazyeighter says:

Any bets as to whether the driver was an illegal too?

5. STW says:

I suspect the guy hung that fake truck plate on the back of the trailer which also helped call attention to the problem. Unless things have changed since I moved, trailer plates in California have two letters not one.

I had a CHP pull me over one time for having my truck tagged wrong. I had a camper on it so it was registered as a passenger vehicle, but the damned thing started shedding parts as I was driving down the road, so I took it to the dump and left it there, knowing I’d have to re-tag it as a truck in the next couple days. As I was driving home, I got pulled over. I asked the cop how he knew and he told me it was like a neon sign to him.
      He was cool about it though – I explained what happened and showed him the dump receipt he let me go with the advice to re-tag it ASAP.