10mm Ammunition: 7 Things You Need to Know

USA – -(AmmoLand.com)- For the past month or so I’ve been tinkering with a 10mm pistol, the Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer Elite. It’s a beautiful handgun that’s made special by its caliber choice of 10mm. Roughly equivalent in ballistics to the lower end of .41 Magnum, and more powerful than the tried and true.357, it’s an interesting option for a carry gun.

The 10mm shares case diameter with the .40 Smith & Wesson, so in theory, pistol capacity can be the same in a double-stack design. The 10mm is a bit longer, so grip size circumference has to be bigger than that for other calibers like 9mm and .40.

This entry was posted in Guns. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to 10mm Ammunition: 7 Things You Need to Know

1. Bill says:

It’s not just the FBI. Many federal agencies use the 10 mm. It’s downside is that unless you get a great deal on ammo, it is a little expensive to shoot, especially if you spend more than an hour at the range.

2. Jason says:

I love my 10mm but it is not for everyone. There can be a good amount of recoil with the hot rounds. What makes it so great is the versatility, if you hand reload. I have a 200gr loaded around 1200-1300fps for when I am hiking, camping, or hunting and a 135gr and 150gr loaded around 1400-1600fps for all other times. You can also purchase lots of different conversion barrels from 9mm to 45 to 9×25 Dillion. With the internet ammo services that have popped up the last 10 years or so the cost per round, even for good ammo, has really come down.

If you are interested in it a bit more, here is a video of a 135gr going through a cows heart with pork ribs:

3. Stretch says:

Worst gun trade I ever made (and we’ve all made ’em) was swapping my Delta Elite for an AR parts gun that never ran right.
    Most accurate out-of-the-box center-fire pistol I ever owned.
    Now if the Virginia Lottery Board would stop giving MY money to total strangers I’d have 10mm in both a 1911 and revolver.

4. Noveske Lou says:

I believe in having offensive carry and defensive carry firearms. I like my Glock 29 with a 30 round magazine for defensive carry. For offensive (concealed) carry I’d add a second one in a New York reload holster and consider them backup for my Saiga 12 with the folding stock. There are a lot of pros and cons out there – and when I’m amongst them I want to lay lead down accurately, reliably and first. This combo works.

5. john biglin says:

Ya’ll go ahead, I’ll follow up behind you with my 357 Mag. Revolvers. I out shot my buddy and his son with his 41 Revolver with ease. Not bragging, just stating fact.

6. DaveP says:

I carried a Glock 20 for a number of years and loved it. There’s something reassuring about a self defense handgun you could use to hunt delivery trucks in a pinch.
    Check out LuckyGunner’s hollowpoint tests though. 10mm has some advantages for wilderness use, but for two legged problems it simply doesn’t have enough margin over the best .40 and .45 to really be worth it. Maybe one day Federal or Speer will get off their asses and build a 10mm defensive load that can really take advantage the cartridge’s strengths.

7. B_Rad says:

I swore to myself I was going to stay out of these caliber/ballistic arguments. There’s a reason most USPSA and IDPA shooter shoot 9mil. Shot placement trumps caliber size. Every time.

Play nice.