Crosswind landing

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Crosswind landing

1. Call T. Don says:

Came in like this on on a flight into Nebraska. The two very young pilots were used to flying in and out of Wyoming and by the way they handled it youda thought they were driving down the road in a car listenin to the radio. They had the door open to the cockpit so we could see what they were looking at. The perspective left me a little uneasy until I noticed how totally relaxed they were. Fun to watch someone that’s “one with the machine ” that they’re using.

• Rick says:

That’s the way to do it, The pilot in this video is way over controlling. In spite of his efforts, it was a good landing.

• Capt. Craig says:

He is not over controlling, if he was the aircraft would move left, right,up, down before he brought it back to center. If you look at the video you will see that the plane is rock steady, relatively, all the way to the runway. It was because of his efforts not in spite of. It is only recently that videos such as this have become widely available but since the dawn of aviation pilots have literally fought their to the runway and what you see here is ho hum to many experienced pilots. I myself have had to use full deflection on a number of occasions, you have no idea what a real fight it can be in some aircraft.

2. Capt. Craig says:

Nah, not much of a crosswind, if there was there would have been more of a crab on final and the wheel would have had a larger left deflection just prior to touchdown and afterwards. What I see here is gusty or turbulent conditions known as mechanical turbulence. What I did notice was that the pilot landed way long. Look at this fun approach in a 137. https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/a-pilot-video-shows-landing-a-737-in-dangerous-crosswinds/news-story/60693fe6acf9408e36a6a9d5cc78a66c

3. SgtBob says:

On a flight from NYC to Chicago O’Hare, the plane my wife was on had to do three go-arounds after the initial attempt. On the third go-around, the pilot said, “I have to put it down this time.” Several weeks before, my wife had asked, “What is a stall?” I told her, and after that flight, she said she was pretty sure the plane almost stalled two times. Many prayers were spoken during the landing attempts, she said.

4. WoodBurner says:

Anyone you walkway from…….

5. Denny Carr says:

Something to be said for circular runways.

6. Gryphon says:

When you have to be Throwing the Controls around like that (and you can’t See how he’s Stomping the Rudder Pedals even more) You better have Both Hydraulic Pumps in Good Shape, because those Control Surfaces are applying quite a few Tons of Force, continuously. Lose One, and things get ‘Slow’ and it’s not a matter of pulling harder, like in a Car. Older Planes, like I Worked on, have Cables from the Yoke and Rudders to the Control Valves, which give a “Feedback” pressure so you can Feel the Load on the Surfaces. New stuff has Electric ‘joystick’ Controls Wired to the Valves, and the Feedback is with Magnetic Friction at the Stick. More Stuff to Break….

That Said, Captain Craig is right, this was Turbulent Air, but not a lot of Crosswind.

7. B says:

Capt Craig is correct.

And I have had to do landings that were that hard, with the (unseen) dance upon the rudder pedals.

But that isn’t that much crosswind, just turbulent or gusty.

Happens all the time.