SoCal shakes, rattle and rolls

A 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Thursday, the largest temblor to hit the region in years.

The 10:33 a.m. quake was centered in the Searles Valley, a remote area of Kern County about 100 miles north of Los Angeles, and was felt as far away as Long Beach and Las Vegas.

This entry was posted in California. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to SoCal shakes, rattle and rolls

1. Walpurgis says:

That’s about that size that us kids loved. We would go stand in the alphalfa and watch the waves in the ground. Gotta love central valley mud.

2. Steven Wright says:

Kenny I miss your stories man. I want to ask you to write down more of them. You can write. When I read the stories I can see them in my mind. That is a rare talent, and I hope you write more of them down.

3. bogsidebunny says:

Please God. Try again, but next one way stronger!

4. TRF says:

Lemme know when it’s big enough to go fishin off the coast of Arizona…

5. Aesop says:

It hit out in the middle of China Lake NWS, about 11 miles from Ridgecrest.
    According to the reports on the current USGS shake map, it was felt from Phoenix to Chico.

It definitely made an impression here, but not to the point of diving under the desk.
    I knew it had to be big somewhere, because it lasted for almost a minute, and got bigger as it went on.
    After you’ve been right on top of one of those, they’re never “fun” any more.

At China Lake, probably didn’t even knock over a trash can. The Navy drops bombs out there all the time.
    Ridgecrest probably has some new cracks in walls and sidewalks, and broken windows.
    And an urgent need for a few hundred pairs of new underpants.

If this had been downtown L.A., with all the old masonry buildings still in use, it would likely be a body count between 3 and 5 figures.

Good times.

Just another reminder to folks to check their earthquake supplies and plans.
    This was just a minor side fault, over 50 miles from the San Andreas.

I’ve never been in a decent sized one what with the coast range between Stanislaus County and the major faults. I think the heaviest ones that I ever felt was the Coalinga quake and the one that hit in Oakland during the World Series. Both of them caused the ground to roll out where I lived but there was no shaking.

• Aesop says:

I always thought the little ones were fun.
        “Surf the wave!” and all that.
        Until Northridge hit, and I was on the third floor, about 2 miles from Ground Zero. Wondering when the building was going to collapse and kill everyone, and watching all the pole transformers explode in the darkness.

It’s NOT fun anymore. Never quite PTSD, but close enough. 25 years out, and it’s a little better. But I’m okay with never, ever having to deal with that nonsense again. Having the earth try to kill you gets a person kinda pissed off.

The problem with little ones and big ones is after you’ve been in a big one, they both feel exactly the same starting out, except the big ones just keep getting bigger, and going on, and getting bigger, and going on, and on, and on.
        You don’t know it’s a little one until it stops short of that.
        Or doesn’t, at which time you start scouting good spots under something sturdy while all your shit starts landing around the house, and side-to-side house motion becomes up-and-down, really hard. Like if the Jolly Green Giant was dribbling your building like a basketball.

So anything that lasts more than a couple of seconds, it’s kind of the difference between watching an F5 tornado on YouTube, vs. watching it from your back porch.

And from experience, I know the people in Ridgecrest were and are feeling everyone of those aftershocks, down to about a 3 magnitude.

I don’t make fun of people who pack up and GTFO of CA after a big quake. If it ain’t for you, do what you gotta do. The people to make fun of are the ones who don’t make a plan for whatever flavor of disaster their area is prone to having.

PTSD from an earthquake….. and no, I ain’t laughing. I can only imagine.
          I gotta tell you, after that Oakland quake, I gritted my teeth and held my breath every time I drove across the Bay Bridge. I kept replaying in my mind that one scene of part of the upper deck collapsing and the car nosediving off of it.
          And downtown Frisco in the Financial District? Walking down through there I always had an eye out for someplace to duck into to escape all that glass that was going to come crashing down.

• (((Doc B))) says:

I remember the loma prietta quake well. I was 10 years old and my house was picked up off the foundation. I lived about 20 miles from the epicenter.

• Larry says:

I’ve lived in earthquake-prone parts a number of years. In 1969 you could see a lot of places near Anchorage where the earth had cracked and shifted and really rocked and rolled during the Good Friday 1964 quake. Lots if temblors. Out in the Aleutians there were quite a few, up to a 5.5. And in the Philippines, the 7.7 in 1990 was quite the experience. After we got my buddy’s TV and computer monitor on the floor real quick, we were out the front door into the street (it started small, but kept building up and up). We got out and the water tower across the street looked like it was about to come down and the power lines looked in danger of coming down, you, and we realized we should’ve headed out the back door. It was too late to do anything, though, since we couldn’t keep our feet. We dropped down on all fours while Filipinos were face down on the ground screaming their lungs out. Even a minute or two later, the ground was still rolling like we were on a ship at sea. The base recall sirens sounded right after that and we reported in to the shop. The next morning we had a 6.6 aftershock, one of the near continuous series of aftershocks. Earthquakes don’t bother me, but I’ve never been on a bridge or in a tallish building where I couldn’t make it outside quickly, either. Or in mountains like where my girlfriend lived and thousands died in landslides or collapsed Marcos-era and later buildings where many corners were cut.

• Larry says:

I missed Mt. Pinatubo, since I PCS’d 4 months earlier. So living through a volcanic eruption, and surviving a tornado are two things I’ve not experienced. Super-tuphoons and a couple of Gulf Coast hurricanes, sure. Without a cellar or underground shelter, the idea of a tornado scares me more than an earthquake. They have always gone around us, though. So far.

6. Rattler says:

Well it was strong enough to be felt across the Las Vegas valley and we are 128+ miles away.

7. =TW= says:

Was sitting at desk w/ HouseCat on my lap when e’quake hit this AM. Waves seemed side to side rather than up and down, lasted maybe a minute or so.
    Didn’t notice any aftershocks this time.
    Cat never batted an eye.

8. Weso Phuct says:

I am in Ridgecrest, it was pretty severe. You might say “good, it’s California!” But this area is quite conservative. Don’t forget, Trump got 4.5 million votes in Cali! We are just out numbered by the city zombies.
    Luckily my 45 year old doublewide has enough flex to just roll with it. There are a couple of small fires around town but no fatalitities and few injuries.
    Wife says it’s time leave California, we have been talking about it already. Seriously looking at Kentucky or Tennessee, in fact we just came through there about 5 days ago looking at the area. I know Wirecutter loves it there. But it was so muggy! It’s 100 degrees here, but 10 % humidity. We were sitting outside for a few hours until they got our power back on, and it wasn’t too bad in the shade.

It does get humid here and I’ve had days when I was working outside that I shower in the morning and then again in the afternoon when I’m done. The upside is when it’s 90 degrees and humid, it’s still not like sticking your head in an oven like in California. At least here we have clouds to block the sun. Back in the San Joaquin Valley there were weeks if not months at a time without a a cloud in the sky.
      Glad to hear you’re okay, thanks for letting us know.

• ThinkingOutLoud says:

Glad you and yours are ok – and I appreciate that Kenny keeps track of his readers.

• lineman says:

I bet you know some of my relatives there in Ridgecrest…

9. Bill says:

Central coast and never felt a thing.

10. drjim says:

I was in SoCal from ’82 until ’17, and I rode through a few big ones. I agree 100% with Aesop!!

11. Judy says:

Must be some really sensitive butts in Phoenix cause I live in The Valley, in a mobile home and I felt and heard nothing.

12. Aaron says:

Damn it’s still attached to the mainland! Man theirs going to be shit everywhere because of broken sewer lines…. oh yeah never mind.

Play nice.